Finally begining my Ranger build up. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Finally begining my Ranger build up.

HIX

Reaction score
City, State
Denver, Colorado
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Mazda 4.0 4x4 SuperCab
I ditched the Exploder back in July and toyed w/ building up a Scrambler I bought for the last few months. I finally decided to sell it and picked up a Ranger SuperCab.

Explorers are nice and all but I love pickemups!

Here is the mods to come soon....

6 inch lift Superlift if I can pick up the parts for the front on the "For Sale" board or Skyjacker 6inch Stage 2 w/ ext. radius arms. OR.....maybe the 4 inch system w/ 2 inch body lift.

33 inch BFGs on 5x8 or 5x10 rims

Locked rear

Possible NOS system for when the 4.0 just doesn't cut it.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

hey man.....long time no read, eh? i didn't hear that you ditched the exploder...when was that?

are you looking for tire clearance only? if so, i think you can just run a 4" lift to fit 33's.....thats what a fella on here named Kampy did.....if you wanted to, you could probably run 35's with a body lift...just my two cents..

Dead Link Removed

he just won a mud race here....sorry, its kind of a bad pic.....

I like the Tractor Tire look on your Exploder! I bet you were the only Explorer there to run the bog.

I want to add abody lift just so that the frame hits the rocks before the rockers do. It saved my ass many times w/ the exploder.

I have been hearing great things bout the skyjacker lifts. They have 4, 6, 8 inchers for the explorer and rangers.
Anybody have one?

Did you guys know the 97's have a different 5 spd tranny? Supposedly stronger than the previous one.

[Edited by HIX on 10-09-2000 at 07:39 PM]

Thanx! you want those tires? im trying to get rid of em. too small for my tastes!! Actually, i wasn't the only explorer there. there was one other one. he even beat me, but thats because i was dumb. long story.....

I know exactly what you mean with the body lift!!! it saved me a few times, untill a big pointy rock gouged my rocker pannel...OUCH!! so i don't really care anymore about body damage...

http://members.home.net/engcamron/P1010023.jpg

hmmm...that guy, kampy, has a skyjacker on his ranger i believe. he likes it from what i can tell, but you would really have to ask him. PM him...or he might see that i posted in a ranger forum, and wonder,"what the hell is riff doing in a ranger forum?!?"

whats different about the new tranny, anyway?

[Edited by riffman on 10-10-2000 at 06:02 PM]

I did some looking around and the new tranny is an auto not manual. It is a 5spd auto w/ stonger internals....I hate autos anyway.

I have a trailmaster not a skyjacker but I do like it. At least I've never had any problems with it. I really don't think there's a dimes worth of difference between most kits anyway as long as they are spec'd the same.

Hey Kampy. I think I am going for the 4 inch w/ a 2 inch body lift. Later on I want to go to 35s.....Think they will fit?

Hey HIX, what year is your Ranger? In my opinion, larger tires fit a little easier on '93+ Rangers than '91-'94 Explorers. You'll still have to trim the rear of the front fender, though. I run 35"s offroad, and 37"s on road, with 2.5" suspension and 3" body.

It is a 97 supercab. It has 31s on it now but I need more. Watching you roll over got me thinking about the top heavy factor. I want to stay as low to the ground as possible...but because of the supercab being so long I think I need to go a little taller than you due to the whole break over angle thing.

I cant wait to see your ranger after the rebuild...Any pics up? Does it feel tons lighter than it did befor? Can you still haul stuff in the bed?

Depends if you want to hack the fenders up. I had to do a little modification to my front to get 33's on with 5 inches of lift. 35's would not fit on mine right now, but with a 2" body lift I really don't know. Sorry I can't be of more help.

I hate dealers!

Dealers SUCK! I did a title search on my truck and they lied about the mileage! Turns out my beautiful 97 w/ 45,000 miles really had 145K! And get this...it was in a flood in South Carolina! I will tell you one thing the guys in their detail shop should get a raise! This thing was spotless. Anyway I made them take it back.

The good news is I bought a 94 SC Mazda b4000 from my dad's friend w/ a verified 60k for 6k less than the dealer ripped me for. That just leaves more money to build it up! I like the way the Mazda front end looks anyway. The inside doesn't look as carlike but I guess if I wanted a car I should have bought one.

If you are in Denver stay away from the Mike Shaw dealership.

Back