Finally found another explorer

jremington59

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
Watertown, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997, 99 and 2000 5.0's
The other day I came across a 2000 Limited with the V8 engine. A young guy had it and when he took it to get it inspected they peeled the sticker, failed it and sent him on his way. It needed an upper control arm and was throwing a code for the vapor solenoid under the spare tire and the sway bar links were broken. He went to a garage and they told him he could be looking at a grand or better so he decided to cut his losses as he's not mechanically able to fix it. It's got 101,000 and we agreed on 1200 dollars. It probably could use rubber soon.....

What I don't get is both rockers are rotted but there's no other rust on the vehicle. I assume salt laid up on the running boards. I'm not sure how I'm going to fix this yet. I got the solenoid changed and the new upper control arm and sway bar links and I'm waiting for the banks to load for inspection.

Attachments

• side view exp.jpg
    side view exp.jpg
    56.7 KB · Views: 181

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Wow, looks nice.

Thx. It doesn't look as good with the back doors open. It does run great though and so far for the money I'm very pleased. I looked at another one with more miles and more rust and the guy got 2700 for that one.

I have no idea how I'm going to fix the rockers. The bottoms of the doors are spotless, yet the rockers are full of rot. I'm guessing the best way would be to cut the rockers out of one that's been smashed, cut the rockers out of this one and try and weld them in. Probably be best if I have someone else do the welding, lol. I just hate rust.

Looks pretty crapping good for $1200...nice find mAN.

Can't beat that price for the mileage. Even if you have to put some money in it..

Thanks. I'm still debating on how to fix the rockers. Anyone got any ideas?

Back