• Register Today It's free!

Finished Gibson Exhaust Install

Bottomlesspit

Reaction score
City, State
Del Rio, TX
Year, Model & Trim Level
'05 XLT
Just thought I'd post the results of my Gibson install.
First...the Gibson stuff is top quality. I got the stainless steel cat back set and it is built great. It also looks great and was packaged very well.
Even with my bad back, I had the old system off and the Gibson installed in a couple of slow working hours. Everything fit exactly in place.
I sawed off the old tailpipe with a hacksaw and unbolted the muffler. The Gibson muffler slid right into place. The new taipipe follows the contours of the heatshields and old pipe routing perfectly.
I did the entire install with the X sitting on all 4 wheels...no jacks used at all. The only discrepancy was I had to buy an extra muffler clamp until I can get the 2 joints welded tomorrow. Seems the tailpipe does not slip far enough into the muffler exit to give the mounting clamp any bite. This mounting clamp acts as both the rear muffler hanger and clamp for the tailpipe joint...it's just about an inch off from being able to clamp the tailpipe. Extra clamp did the trick though.
The sound is a lot nicer than stock, a deeper rumble. I like it, and don't seem to have any resonance problems. The noise level seems slightly louder than stock...wish it was slightly louder (although I might change my mind on that after driving it around awhile)
All in all, a very nice addition to the truck...and the easiest exhaust install I've done.
That's it...just some more info if anyone is considering the Gibson stuff.
Ken

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The mufflers I've used on Mustangs usually "break-in" and get a little throatier over time.
I also plan on the same cat-back in the future.

Lou.

ken, does your explorer have the SOHC engine? i heard that gibson exhaust wont word on a SOHC without a Y-pipe, does anyone know if this is true

99xlt,
No, sorry...my poor old Explorer is of the OHV kind. Wish it was the SOHC but no such luck. I'm not sure about your question. I got the system from www.truckperformance.com. They have a pretty thorough listing of all parts that will fit certain Explorer/engine combos. Just type in your X info and all parts for it will be listed. That might help answer your question?!
Ken

Gibson exhaust

Hello I also have the Gibson Exhaust. Nice package but the seam on the bend visable from the wheel well has developed a half inch crack, nothing big. The joints also leak water, nothing a weld cant fix. Has anyone ever heard of the automatic transmission "slipping" prior to downshift?? I took it in to ford, but they said nothing was wrong. I just had the 36,000 mile oil change, so its good there. Please, any help would be a help.

wait.. u changed your oil once in 36000 miles? :eek:

Come on now, Transmission fluid.:D How do you like the Apten chip? I just got mine.

I have a Gibson Exhaust and love it. Haven't had any problem with it at all. I also have the Apten Chip. It is great! More power and waaayyy better shifting. Also better gas milage.

lets see some pics & sound clips!

I second MO GUYs request....pictures/clips please.
My Gibson exhaust is working fine. I do like it. Welding the joints is definitely the way to go.
I am waiting on a few more items before I go with the Apten chip. Can't wait!!!
Ken

Back