• Register Today It's free!

Finished my AAL!

Mneofreek

Reaction score
City, State
Twin Cites, MN
Year, Model & Trim Level
96 V8 XLT AWD
I finished my AAL just a few minutes ago. I started at about noon and finished at about 3:30 and that included two trips to the hardware store for an 18mm deep socket and a bigger C-clamp. I was able to get the center pin off without taking the spring off of the shackle and just raised the axel out of the way. A thing that might help anyone out in a future is to use the provided center pins as just a temp until you get the extra leaf in and the clamps holding everything together and then put the 2.5" bolt in afterwards.

I was disapointed with the amount of lift that it gave me though. The rear is only about 1/2" higher than the front. Not really even enough for me to need to do a TT to even it out. I am going to have to get some shackles to get away from the stock height.

Before
60328.jpg

After
60329.jpg

Picture of the AAL
60330.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

put some warrior shackels on it....ohh and post some pics of it too.

SkanlaxJMO said:
put some warrior shackels on it....ohh and post some pics of it too.

I will see what I can do as far as pics go.

Another thing is that you don't need air tools to do this modification. I had no problem breaking bolts free with some PB Blast and a pipe. The only tool that I didn't have was a grinder and I picked one up for $15 at Northern tool. So this is something that really anyone with some decent hand tools can do.

^^ air tools just make it go faster... :D

hey did you recently order the AAL kit? the procomp one? if so, did you use the center pin included...i just got mine in and there are 2 sets of center pins, one skinny one thick..im guessing the thick is whats being used now b/c most people on here have said they bought new ones. what'd you do?

use the thick one

pfeffer1728 said:
hey did you recently order the AAL kit? the procomp one? if so, did you use the center pin included...i just got mine in and there are 2 sets of center pins, one skinny one thick..im guessing the thick is whats being used now b/c most people on here have said they bought new ones. what'd you do?

I just used the large center pin to make sure that everything stayed lined up while I closed it all up with the C-clamps. When they were all closed up I took the provided center pin out and then used a 2.5" x 3/8" grad 8 hex bolt to hold it all together. I don't see how you could even do it any other way and not have any problems. The 2.5" bolt was barely long enough. It really should be a 2 3/4" bolt instead...if you can find one.

gotcha, the ones that came with mine are definately long enough, i just didnt know if people were usin the thick one or not. good deal, thanks skanlax

the thiner one has been known to break off.... It happend to Ggarret i think :EEk!

yeah i figure bigger/stronger is always better. im doin my AALs tomorrow or the next day, ill be sure to post if i come across anything unusual, or a way to make it easier.

Spray some lubricant (wd40, liquid wrench, pb blast) on the the u-bolts and shock mount to make it that much easier for the bolts to come off. The last thing you want is a broken bolt on Memorial Day.

I posted some pictures on the first posting for you guys.

Back