• Register Today It's free!

Finished my Frankentranny!

HD Streetbob

Reaction score
City, State
Calhoun, Ga
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 Ranger XLT
:) Hello everyone! I'm new to posting but not a new member. Just a little back ground.. I purchased my 92 Ranger XLT 4.0 back in May of last year for $ 400.00. Had to rewire part of the wiring harness just to get it to run. After getting it running I was able to drive about 80 mile before the front transmission pump seal blew. LOL I got started researching on line and Found this forum! What a great site I've learned so much in the last year! Anyway after studying a bit I pulled the A4LD Transmission and replaced the front seal, filter and fluid. I knew from this site I was going to have to do a rebuild in the future! I found Glacier's rebuild, and Brian's Frankentranny and knew this was what I wanted to do. Well the trans made it for 10 months before she laid down, giving me time to study and prepare for the rebuild. I found a guy here local that sells transmissions to rebuilder's. Was able to get a 2002 5r55E in great shape for a donor! I already had a 4R55E waiting for the mod and out the A4LD came. I kept rereading Brian's and Glacier's post and finished my Frankentranny last weekend. I thought I had a problem and was going to have to go back in but the governor was just stuck. I've put about 200 miles on her so far and everything is running good. Decided to go ahead and change the water pump, fan and fan clutch today. Wow that did make a big difference on the running temp.

Has anyone else done the Frankentranny mod and How is your's running?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Welcome to the forum , Glad to see another GA member , Also glad to see your Frankentrans Works and your Getting use out of it !!

Thanks Bruce. Good to have a fellow Georgian interested in working on and modifying their ride.

No Problem , I've been Noticing Allot More GA Owner's Now Online !!

Welcome to this forum! A Frankentranny probably would have been Ford's next step if the government didn't push for so many electronic enhancements. The hard parts in the A4LD were a weak point until they were improved upon in the 5R55E. Unfortunately the electronics was the weak point in those transmissions, so the Frankentranny was the best of both worlds.

Thanks BrooklynBay! Your Right, seems like everytime the Gov gets involved they think they are helping but we take a step backwards. I guess my next mod will be to add the Trans pressure gauge, trans Temp gauge, and a Vacuum gauge. I haven't been able to find them local so I guess I have to order online. Thanks for your helpful stickies, they've been a big help !!

I'm new here to the forums, as well as just recently acquired my first ex. Forgive me for sounding dumb, but can anyone explain this frankentranny thing to me or point me in the direction of it?

Well the First Generation explorer 91-94, Used the a4ld trans and its junk , So people figured out a way to adapt 2 different transmissions together to make them work

can i do franken trans to wifes/bosses 98 exp 4.0 sohc? and is it an improvement???

Very cool, love it when someone goes the extra mile to make improvements. Good work!

Back