Gibson Cat Back

focbl

Reaction score
City, State
Naples, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport
Hi All
Looking for some feed back, just ordered a gibson cat back and saw that a few of you have it fitted.
I bought the gibson because it claimed 10-15 more H.P.
And that it was not too loud they claim 2 db louder
What do you gibson owners think and did i make a good choice.........

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So far I have been satisfied with my exhaust. It is barely noticible when your crusing down the highway. When you stomp on it, it has a nice throaty sound. Nothing loud at all. That is a reason I got the gibson instead of the flowies. I only have one complaint about it, the hangers that came with mine were a little different than the stock ones, they didnt have the fat head at the end of the hanger that keeps it from coming back through the rubber hanger. So I got some tiny hose clamps and that fixed that problem up right quick.

I have been kicking arround the Gibson Exhaust as well. Anyother information, anyone could provideon the Gibson exhaust would be great. I know they make good Guitars.:D

I AGREE WITH TEXPLORER....IT'S A REALLY CLEAN SOUNDING EXHAUST AND WITH A SMOOTH AFTERTATSE...
I DON'T KNOW ABOUT THE 10-15 HORSE THING THOUGH ...I GOT A LITTLE INCREASE IN POWER ESPECIALLY AT ABOUT 3RD GEAR AND ON ACCELERATION...A LITTLE MORE POWER AND SMOOTHNESS...

gibson

Thanks for the input
it should be here by friday, So i know what i'am doing this week-end.
I'll keep you posted and let you know how it sounds.....

Where did you order your Gibson from? And is it a side exit or rear exit?

The gibson system for the explorer is a side exit, behind the passenger tire. I dont know where everybody else got theres at, but I got mine a truckperformance.com.

I love my Gibson exhaust. It adds a good rumble, without being ear-splitting inside the cab. I don't know the actual hp boost, but I definitely noticed some. I'm running 33s, and without changing the gears, the car felt a little underpowered in 5th gear. The Gibson exhaust made enough of a difference to make 5th cruisable again. The install was super easy, I did it with one hand in a cast. I think you will be pleasently surprised!

I have had mine for about 2 months and am very happy with it. The HP gain was noticable like everyone said but I don't think it was 10-15. I also had the problem with the hanger that it came with but also put a tiny hose clamp on and fixed it right up. And again like the rest have stated the sound is nice and has a noticable rumble....its different because its not blareing but mine does turn some heads.

I ordered it from performance products.com. It was'nt cheap at $ 263 so i'am glad you guys like it. do i need a lift to fit it or will car ramps work......
Over-all it sounds like just what i wanted.....

Thanks again.....:bounce:

All I used to put it on was a floor jack and some jack stands. I am positive putting the rear tires up on ramps will give you good enough room to install it.

Maybe I just found my new exhaust :) I had dual flow 40s on my '91 X and it was SO loud. In high school it's cool, but only for so long. I was thinking Borla but I think they're a little too loud and a little too expensive for my taste.

Thanks for the info.

Gibson cat back exhaust

Should be getting my Gibson exhaust this friday as well...can't wait!! Thanks for the info on the clamps that may be needed...I will go and buy the clamps on wednesday just to be sure. Also ordered mine from truckperformance.com......stainless steel...side swept.

:bounce: I was able to install mine with no ramps or jacks....my explorer is high enough off the ground to work under...it was a little tight but doable. I also got mine at truckperformance.com I don't remember just how much it was but I felt they had very good prices and it came in the mail very fast

:bounce:
Glad to hear that you were able to install without any jack-stands......I do not own any and was wondering about that...Thanks

Heh, I couldn't figure out why all of you were trying to do this with jackstands and then stupidly remembered that not everyone has a car lift in their garage :rolleyes:

:D :D :D :D :D :D
...NEWS FLASH... My exhaust system has just arrived!!!! Wooohoooo!!! It lays spread out on the living room floor nowas I type (wife looks on with disturbing look on her face...LOL). Can't wait till Saturday to install this thing....VROOOOM.

Originally posted by Rscotts1
:D :D :D :D :D :D
...NEWS FLASH... My exhaust system has just arrived!!!! Wooohoooo!!! It lays spread out on the living room floor nowas I type (wife looks on with disturbing look on her face...LOL). Can't wait till Saturday to install this thing....VROOOOM.

Ohhhhhhh the good ole wife. Same thing in my book...she had the same look when my swept side was in the garage,...I can't wait to see the look on her face when my headers for the Honda come in! :nono: hahahahaha

Gas Milage

Can anybody tell me about the gas milage after the Gibson is installed? Increase or decrease? Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

welcome to the site! as with any exhaust that is free'er (word?) flowing you will increase your gas milage but you MUST retain the right amount of back pressure with 4.0, the 5.0 doesnt really matter.

Back