Gibson Cat Back | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Gibson Cat Back

Yea
I will let you know when it comes, i ordered it last week, Why does it take so long to come from CA.
My fuel consumption has stayed the same through my mods I accpect the same from the gibson. Unless i floor it of course....Then i get a big sucking sound and a pain in my wallet.....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

focbl, im a fellow 2k1 sporter and i am interested in this exhaust... make sure you let us know your dislikes/likes and just fill me in about it! I will be buying the exhaust this summer if i hear good things about it.

Gibson exhaust install

Well.....finally got the exhaust installed this Saturday and this is how it all worked out: Found out Saturday morning by crawling under the X that I would need a lift for this job...just not enough room. Lucky for me I am in the Navy Reserve's and am able to use a local Air Force base auto hobby shop. Got the old exhaust out (had to cut in two places) and started to fit-up new exhaust and discover that the supplied piping is too short in a couple places. (That sucked!!!!) Also 2 out of 3 hangers do not line up! 6 inches off!!! Well I had about enough of this and head for local muffler shop. (Drive to muffler shop with only new muffler attached and supported with wire). After about an hour the shop is done and shows me where they had to add a 12" section of pipe. Hangars still do not line up so they put on some clamps w/attached hangars. I head out of the shop and cruise home. On the way home I cannot help but think that my new exhaust system sounds just like one of those souped up rice burner honda's!! It really sounded bad....really loud in the X too. The next day I head back to the muffler shop to have my stock system put back on (Lucky thing I held onto the old exhaust). Had a really bad experience with this particular install. Guess you win some and then you lose some. I am sure other X owners have had better luck with Gibson and I am not here to blast them........personally......I thought the exhaust I purchased from them really sucked.

Sorry you had such a bad experience with them rscotts... Did you get a 2 door exhaust for a 4door truck or something? Mine is super quite unless O drop the pedal and really get on it....

I hope RScott's was a one off....
RS did you ever find out if it was a two door exhaust...
and sorry for the experiance.
Yes road enforcer i'll let you know all the details.....

Gibson install

Yes, system was for the 4DR.....double checked and inquired via e-mail just before ordering.

Sorry to hear about your install going bad for you. Its weird for measurements to be that way off, my gibson lined up with no problems. Lets hope gibson gets that measurement fixed so no more X owners have the same problem.

Wow, sorry to here about your gibson! :eek: I am surprised that you had to go through so much trouble. I get the feeling they may have sent you the wrong specs. for your truck. In any case go with a 50 or 60 series flowmaster if you didn't like the gibson.....maybe that would suit your needs a better.

I had a couple problems with the install on mine to apparently the hangers right next to the rear leaf spring is wrong. after playing around with it, I got it all squared away.. I love the sound of mine. Im sorry you had a bad experience with yours man!!!

Hi
After rscott's experiance i got nervous when my exhaust came and was laid out on the living room floor.So this is the e-mail i sent to gibson and truck performance. Does anyone else know the answer.........

I have just received in the mail a Gibson cat back exhaust system.
I ordered the 2001 2 door 4.0L cat back.
It said on the box for 97-2001 ford explorer sport 2 door which all seems fine.

But i have a 2001 ford explorer sport 2 door ( new shape), and wondered if this is going to fit.
I have not got under my car yet and the exhaust is still in the box in my living room.
Can you shed some light as to whether it will fit before i crawl under my car.

Many Thanks David

Gibson install

I would crawl under your X and take careful measurements. First measurement should be from end of cat flange to first hangar in your X. Do the same from first hangar to next hangar and so on. Take these measurements and compare them to your new system laid out on your floor. Connect what you can on the floor as it would be installed on your X including the clamps (try to mimick all angles). Measurements should be really close. A lift really helps when doing this. If I would have measured mine first..I would have discovered what was wrong!! Guess you win some and then you lose some:( . Godd luck!

O.K
Got the gibson out of the box and checked it with the vehicle, and i am pretty sure this thing is going to FIT...
Even the instructions show my EX....
The intresting thing is for the 2K1 its not the side swipe it follows the excact path of the factory one. which is fine with me...It came with a nice chrome tip too.........

fitted gibson

This exhaust was a breeze all the brackets lined up perfect. and were the same as factory.
One cut to get the old one out, the gibson tailpipe threaded through the shock and roll bar no problem.
I did not have to remove the spare or anything.
1 hour 20 mins all done. I did use jack stands.
The sound is deep when you accerlarate, but quiet when driving normal.
I thought it was a little quieter than i would have liked, but i think i will get used to it.................

Hope this helps 2K1 sport owners

Any questions let me know

How much would it cost to have an exhaust installed? Also can someone please let me know the difference between a muffler and an exhaust. Are both necessary?

a cat back exhaust is necessary if your looking for performance gains. otherwise youve got a 1.75" pipe going into a freeflowing muffler, then back into the restrictive 1.75" pipe again. it will give you the sound, but not the performance. Hope that helps. If youve got any other questions PM me.

Back