Firm Cruise Control Buttons - Can they be swapped? - 2001 Sport Trac | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Firm Cruise Control Buttons - Can they be swapped? - 2001 Sport Trac

esromj

Reaction score
City, State
Madison, WI
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Explorer Sport Trac
Hello all,
I recently got a 2001 Sport Trac (Job 1). I used to drive (and still own) a 1999 Ford Taurus SE.

The Sport Trac has the cruise control buttons in the same configuration and shape as my Taurus but the buttons are really hard and I don't like them. Does anyone know if it would be possible to switch out the actual cruise control buttons so I could have the nicer buttons like on the Taurus?

I'm looking on Rock Auto and it looks like my current Sport Trac buttons are Motorcraft # SW5928. The '99 Taurus has Motorcraft # SW5916, though it looks like that is only the right side. I don't see the left side on Rock Auto's site.

My cruise control works and I wouldn't put in a lot of money/effort to change it -- but if it were cheap/easy, I definitely prefer the Taurus buttons. Has anyone else noticed the difference or considered changing? Are my cruise control buttons really firm because the rubber material is old and brittle?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I have an 02 ST and have noticed the same with my control buttons. cant "feel" when they are pushed anymore...

Sorry I am no help, but I guess we aren't alone anymore :D

I have the same problem. My plastic covers are worn, cracked, and have holes in them. I looked at replacing them, but are well north of $100. Is there a better choice for cruise control buttons?
Dave P.

I know gen 3 Taurus/sables use a three wire plug behind the steering wheel not sure on the trac I haven't messed with mine. It's not hard to check it disconnect negative battery terminal then on the sides of the wheel just behind the cruise switches is covers that a small common tip pops off then two bolts that hold the airbag/horn assembly on pull it off slowly and disconnect the yellow wire connector at the plug at 12 o clock position of the wheel set aside and look at 2 and 10 positions the plug is about 1/8" square I will get a pic of my spares from a 99 Taurus is a bit

Over the past 2-3 seasons, I have come to find that the cruise control buttons get very nice and pliable during hot weather and have gotten hard again now that the temperatures have dropped a little. Unfortunately, it looks like me and my rock hard cruise control buttons may be in for a long winter.

Back