First Gen Moonroof | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Gen Moonroof

donzoh1

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 Explorer
I've been told that the 1991-94 Explorer had a moonroof similar to the 1983-88 Bronco II. Does anyone know whether this in fact is correct and where to get parts for that moonroof. I know this is not a Bronco II forum but I've run out of leads on where to get this hardware. I need the front hinges (both components of each hinge) and I need the rear crank/latch assembly. Any hints are appreciated. The moonroof glass says "Carlite" on it so I think it's factory original. Mine is an Eddie Bauer version. Also, I'm wondering what years of the Ranger may have had this moonroof. I've been scouring local junkyards with no luck.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

1994 explorer Eddie bauer factory. My 1993 limited explorer has one too. It has carlite etching. I siliconed both because they leak.
20170826_042012.jpg

I moved this thread to the bronco-ii section and left a link in this section so hopefully someone who knows has a better chance to see it.

I think many of them leak after some time. Either the caulk/sealant gets brittle or the downtubes get clogged. Many wind up with silicone or other caulk added to fix this. The pic above looks exactly like my B2. The parts I'm looking for are the two-piece hinges and then the crank and other parts below the rectangular piece near the rear edge of the glass, and perhaps the rubber ring. BTW, the best info I've seen on fixing this leak problem involves releasing the headliner and headliner board from the front half of the vehicle, removing the rectangular support ring from below the glass, scraping the old sealant from the entire area, ensuring that the downtubes are clear (usually four of these) and adding new sealant around the trim, frame, and rubber seal. Assuming the moonroof didn't leak when the car was new, these steps will likely fix the problem.

Yosty,

Thanks for your response. Can you tell me what the approximate glass size is? My B2 glass is about 17 by 30 inches. Dunno whether the glass is the same size but the hardware looks identical. For what it's worth, my B2 was also siliconed by the previous owner but for some reason, I feel compelled to fix this! It seems kind of silly, given the potential end result doesn't really change the vehicle that much but I just can't resist the effort. I've also bought new headliner fabric from Joann's Fabric but haven't put that in pending leak verification tests, assuming I can ever find the hardware to go along with my glass.

Back