First Oil Change? | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First Oil Change?

Several owners believe in an early change in order to flush out any 'debris' from a new engine. It doesn't hurt to change it earlier even though the Manual doesn't cover it. There is no rule about it. It's just a personal preference.

Peter

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Just curious. Is it problematic to follow the oil life sensor in the vehicle for the first oil change. I’m at 5000 miles and the oil life still stays I have over 4000 miles left before oil change is needed. Also couldn’t find anything in the manual stating something sooner for first oil change.

The manual recommends that you follow the Intelligent-Oil-Life Monitor and not go by an arbitrary amount of mileage or time. That said, I plan on changing mine around 5k miles so I can add a Fumoto drain valve... I'll also send a sample of my oil out to an independent lab for a baseline test, once I have a couple of tests I will feel better stretching the interval between changes.

I looked around and didn't see anything, if I missed it, I apologize.

What milage/how many months are you all doing the first oil change?

Are most going to suggested 3-5k?

Thanks!
I believe the dealer should provide and schedule the first maintenance with you.

Many will say they do. I dont, I follow the monitor. Ive had several Oil Analysis done following it and every one has said there was plenty of life left. What the system tells you is on the safe/conservative side, no reason to change it. After all, your filter is filtering it.

Had mine done at about 8500 miles when it called for it. I had them go ahead with the 10k mile service. Paid 100% with points.

Back