• Register Today It's free!

First oil change

Importboy

Reaction score
City, State
burbs of Chicago
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 XLT
I just did my first oil change on my SOHC XLT last night and got oil all over the passenger side suspension and a huge puddle on the garage floor. Why did Ford put that damn drain plug there? Next time im gonna use a piece of cardboard or something to funnel the oil into the pan. Anyone have any other suggetions?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I know, mine was the same way, dumbest place ever for a drain plug.

I experienced the same problem; what a mess.

Solution: I take mine to Jiffy Lube and have them do it with my 5 W 30 Mobile 1.

Good luck.....

I just installed one of those on/off switch drain plugs. Was a lifesaver.

Originally posted by Rob Slade
I just installed one of those on/off switch drain plugs. Was a lifesaver. [/QUOT

Please give us some details; also a pic if you can,

Thanks

Originally posted by Rob Slade
I just installed one of those on/off switch drain plugs. Was a lifesaver.

I was thinking about those things. Someone on her posted a link to where you can get them. Glad to hear they actually work

mine does that too but i dont worry. it doesnt hurt anything...and i move the pan as needed and cover the garage floor with newspaper

Wonder how that frain plug will hold up to use, ir, actual driving over a period of time?

That thing would be nice but it doesnt redirect the flow of the oil. There is one that redirects the flow straight down. If i got the one linked above then I would get the one with the nipple and hook a hose to the nipple and run it into an empty oil container. That actually sounds like a good idea.

That is the way I do it. I connect a 12" piece of 3/8" hose to my nipple, errr drain valve and put the other end into an empty milk jug. After 4 oil changes with the valve, the valve doesn't leak a drop with the end result being a much cleaner garage floor.

I've had the oil drain valve for almost 5 years and it works flawlessly. No leaks and no messy hands.

Thanks for all your imput. I am definately going to order the one with the nipple.

Consolidated Freightways uses those on thier 18 wheelers . I just repaired a oil leak on one of thier trucks that had one of those drain valves on it . At 1,774,202 miles , the original drain valve was still 100% leak free . Yes that was 1 million .......
Oil was leaking from the oil filter base . Guess orings don't last like they used to , only getting close to 2 million miles seems a little short of life . :)

I put a 90 degree hydralic fitting on my mom's 99 SOHC. It has an end that unscrews and the oil goes straight down. Works great.

Back