First post. Thoughts please? Front left whirring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First post. Thoughts please? Front left whirring

tory

Reaction score
City, State
indiana
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 explorer limited 4.6
First post although searched many issues the last few years I've owned my x. 2003 limited v8. 232k miles and counting. Been fighting what has seemed to be a wheel bearing noise the past few months. Usually do most of work myself but had a known trustworthy mechenic do a rear left bearing a month ago. Some noise may have been remedied but there was a noticeable noise still seemingly to be front left. Just got done doing the front left myself last night and no change. Just wondering on your guys thoughts if I should go ahead and do the front right myself as I've gotten pretty good at it and isn't too expensive and see if it changes anything? I could jack it up and listen for issues but this never tends to point me in the right direction lol. Just bought an infrared thermometer so I can check hub temps/brake temps when it arrives and the front right bearing I'm just wondering what else do you guys think it could be.. worried about it being front left CV axle or something. Also considering rotating front left tire somewhere else. Thanks in advance

Unless the bearing is really bad, you won’t notice anything by manually moving the wheel.

Typically, if you can find a hill with turns, the bad bearing will the one making a noise opposite the turn. Down hill left turn produces noise on the front right bearing as the vehicles weight shifts to it.

Did you put new tires on?

Back