First time doing my own oil change please help | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First time doing my own oil change please help

superskid

Reaction score
City, State
Alberta
Year, Model & Trim Level
1995 Ford Explorer
I own a 1995 Ford Explorer and plan on starting to do all the oil changes by myself. Gotta start with my own maintenance somewhere. Just a couple of questions.

1.) I own a 2 ton jack and jack stands, is this enough or do I need to go get a 3 ton jack with two 3 ton jack stands?

2.) Getting ready for the winter in Edmonton where it can hit -40. What oil should I use? Do I stick to 5w30, and if so I assume I should use a fully synthetic for the winter?

Thanks,

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

a 2 ton jack will be plenty for the explorer. You shouldnt need it though. Plenty of room without a jack if you ask me.

I would recommend a 0w20, 0w30 or 0w40 oil for such cold conditions. I always use a fully synthetic oil as well.

How to video in the link in my signature if you are interested.

a 2 ton jack will be plenty for the explorer. You shouldnt need it though. Plenty of room without a jack if you ask me.

I would recommend a 0w20, 0w30 or 0w40 oil for such cold conditions. I always use a fully synthetic oil as well.

How to video in the link in my signature if you are interested.

Thanks for the quick reply and video. I will be buying the oil tomorrow, of those 3 choices for oil is none better then the other?

of those 3 choices for oil is none better then the other?

Remember how to read oil weights. The first number (i.e. "0") tells you how viscous the oil is at very cold temps, so all three oil weights flow the same at startup in the cold. A "0" flows better than a "5" which flows better than a "10".

The second number (20/30/40) tells you how viscous it is as operating temps. Therefore a 0w30, 5w30 and 10w30 all flow equally well once your engine is warmed up, but 0 flows better than a 5 which flows better than a 10 in cold weather at startup.

Ford used to recommend 5w30 for many applications but then switched to 5w20. That all being said, you won't kill your truck by using whatever oil you want. I don't see the point of a 40 weight oil, but some people do use it in leaky engines because it's thicker (i.e. more viscous) at normal operating temperature and won't leak as much.

I'm in Calgary. I use Dead Link Removed. The "0" means it will flow in the coldest temps, and it does well in our winters. 30 weight oil is more than adequate so I'd always use that weight (and have for years). 5w30 works fine too and I'd go that route is 0w30 wasn't available. Don't let someone tell you that they wouldn't use such "thin" oil when going with 0w30. It's "thin" only at startup and when it's very cold. You want the oil flowing when it's really cold and you and I both know that colder than -30C is possible in winter here in Alberta!

x2, I just slide under there as is. If you jack it up, it's a trade-off between having more space above you versus having to deal with the jackstands.

I was able to slide under and get it done no problem without jack stands. Thanks for all the help. Couple questions though.

1.) If I were to use a jack and a jack stand, where is the spot I would jack it up and place the jack stand? (sorry bought the vehicle used and don't have the manual)

2.) I was filling from a big container of oil so kept having to dump some in check the dipstick. To make it easier next time what is the factory amount of oil my truck takes?

I was able to slide under and get it done no problem without jack stands. Thanks for all the help. Couple questions though.

1.) If I were to use a jack and a jack stand, where is the spot I would jack it up and place the jack stand? (sorry bought the vehicle used and don't have the manual)

2.) I was filling from a big container of oil so kept having to dump some in check the dipstick. To make it easier next time what is the factory amount of oil my truck takes?

1. The pinch weld (where 2 pieces of metal come otgether and are welded together) if you dont have running boards. The other place would be the frame which should be fairly obvious once you get under the vehicle. You could also use the control arm if needed but that relies on the shock so only use that when needed.

2. 5 quarts is perfect for most ford engines.

Back