First time pulling a trailer with my Explorer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

First time pulling a trailer with my Explorer

Hi all. Just a quick question. I have an '02 Explorer 2WD with the 4.0 Eddie Bauer package. I'm going to be pulling a 15' aluminum boat and trailer with it next week. The boat and trailer probably doesn't weigh more than 1000 pounds together so I know I'm well within the towing capacity. Am just wondering if there are any problems or issues I should watch out for. I have the factory hitch (I believe it's a class III) and the Explorer has 37,000 miles. If it makes a difference, we will be in the 7000-8000 foot elevation range. Thanks for any input.

Easy. You'll hardly know it's there. I've pulled my Jayco pop up and gear for six with my wife's 4.0, no worries.

If you are new to towing trailers, spend some time in a parking lot getting used to it. Boat trailers in general are longer and take a wider swing to make turns and keep the trailer on the road. Other than that, you can tow that no problem.

Just a quick update. The only issue I had was that with 6 in the Explorer and trying to get it up a 6% grade at 8000 feet starting from a near dead stop, it wouldn't come out of 2nd gear until after the summit. Other than that and having to back way into the water due to the shallow launch ramp, it didn't do too bad. (Water got up to the reverse sensors, didn't look like the differential was in the water from what I could see).

I wondered how the elevation would affect you... Thanks for the update! :thumbsup:

Back