Fish tailing!! | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fish tailing!!

Pressure settings changed in 1999 to 30psi since the roll-over saga. Also in some countries rear shock absorbers where changed. Firestone tires where banned from Explorers then too.
Probably that's why the horizontal shock absorber on rear appeared too...
This applies to all models, I think there is a TSB about that (and a modified tire pressure sticker).
http://www.citizen.org/autosafety/suvsafety/ford_frstone/tab_032.pdf
http://www.fordexplorerrollover.com/explorer_rollovers/Default.cfm

PS: This is my door sticker:
P1030446.png

Ok my tire thing on the front door says 26psi. The tires on the front are good year and the tire says 34psi and the tires on the back are dextrose I beleave and they say psi of 44. Think I found my problem ..My explorer does not have the 3rd rear shock just 2..

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Does it at all speeds and no noise coming from underneath. My tire sticker says 26 Pei. I got good year on the front and they say 34psi on the tire and dextro on the back and on them they say 44psi..

Pressure should be equal. Don't go by maximum pressure of the tire either, use the 30 psi revised value. Max 32psi...

Like I said, when I replaced the old rear shock, it made a lot of difference in cornering feel.

P1060860.png

Well for the heck of it I checked tire pressure and it was 20 Psi in each tire. Funny 3 weeks ago before my oil change they where all at 26. I know now not to trust Wally world for oil changes.

Well for the heck of it I checked tire pressure and it was 20 Psi in each tire.
:eek: May be your only free fix ever that takes 5 minutes to do. IMO, tires should be checked more frequently than the recommended once every 30 days. Depending on conditions, tires usually lose a minimum of one PSI per month. Hope that's it, inflate ALL tires to 30+ pounds, go for a test drive, and report back. IMO, wouldn't let Walmart change my oil
if it was free using $10 a quart Amsoil Signature Series. GL

Fishtailing can occur when too low or rear tire pressure but if its excessive it could also mean the rear brakes are not working correctly or not working at all.

And as for tire pressure, I've always ran 35 psi. Lower tire pressures can lead to internal tire damage and lead to failure of the tire. The lower pressure also stresses the sidewall because of side to side flex.

Higher tire pressure leads to excessive wear too. Plus braking distance and cornering stability are affected, especially on wet road.
Read the tirerack link:
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=1
Disadvantages of Overinflation
An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when running over potholes or debris in the road. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities well, causing them to ride harsher.
tire-concerns-rear-tires-wear-in-the-middle-21320272.jpg

Like I said in a early post the front tires say they need 34 Psi and the rear say they need 44psi do I just stay with 32psi or do what the tires say? Not going to test drive ut today its 18 degrees here in Texas. To cold for me..

Like I said in a early post the front tires say they need 34 Psi and the rear say they need 44psi do I just stay with 32psi or do what the tires say? Not going to test drive ut today its 18 degrees here in Texas. To cold for me..

that's cold? its 18 below zero here here MN lol. id be in shorts if we hit 18 above!

that's cold? its 18 below zero here here MN lol. id be in shorts if we hit 18 above!

18 for north Texas at this time of the day very rarely happens. Not used to it. I used to live in New York so I have seen it colder just been a long time.

18 for north recession at this time of the day very rarely happens. Not used to it. I used to live in New York so I have seen it colder just been a long time.

The tires values are MAXIMUM values. That's what manufacturer guarantee they will not blow up.
Is NOT what you should use.

Well, it helps in some way.
Moisture in air can affect pressure in the tire on cold weather - when it freezes, it drops the pressure in the remaining gas.
Nitrogen, by the way is manufactured, doesn't have moisture.

Ok guys will go with the 32psi and see if that helps any..

Well, it helps in some way.
Moisture in air can affect pressure in the tire on cold weather - when it freezes, it drops the pressure in the remaining gas.
Nitrogen, by the way is manufactured, doesn't have moisture.

and moisture will cause the rims to rust over time causing more leaks..

My rims are aluminum alloy. Don't rust.

But, what puzzles me is that nobody seems to realize something:
Oxygen permeates the rubber and goes out. I add more air (Nitrogen plus Oxygen), more Oxygen goes out. Nitrogen remains in the tire.
After a few cycles, the ratio of N2 to O2 inside my tires is the same as the ratio the shop will fill it in (based on relative pressures discussed in all the articles).
Really, the only benefit is the lack of moisture - that can be solved with a air dryer following the compressor.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

My rims are aluminum alloy. Don't rust.

Yea, but aluminium will oxidize. My brother had constant problems with his Subaru aluminum wheels oxidizing and leaking air at the bead.

Back