Fitting 33's | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fitting 33's

All,

I have an oppurtunity to pick up some black rock crawler rims with a no name AT tire on them for a real good price. What is the least inexpensive way to get them to fit on a 2000 x? I am guessing a TT&Shackles plus a 2" or 3" body lift would do it. Anyone have first hand experience? I tried searching the forums but I couldn't come up with a direct answer.

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I recently had the same deal. I have a 95 with the TT, add-a-leaf, shackles, and I was running 32" tires. I started a thread to see what I could fit after I put on the 2" PA lift.... this is what I was told http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=34021
I will be putting on the body lift this weekend and trimming whatever I need to to get them to fit.

Please let me know how your body lift goes...I am looking to do that to my X also. My friend has a f150 that the hood is already taller than me and he want to do one too. We were thinking about getting together and tackle both out trucks. Any useful info will be appreciated.

Just do the 3" Body Lift and 1" TT with Warrior shackles... you will be able to fit 33x12.5R15s with just minor triming on the back of the wheelwell. As for you friend with the F-150, my sister just bought a F-150 with the Off-road pack (sits on 17" tires) and my hood was only about 1/4" lower than her's when I parked next to it.

no...i mean his hood is as tall as me...aound 6 feet in the air....

how much trimming did you have to do BUCHVILLEMAN?? My 31x10.5 BFG KO'S rubbed pretty badd...on the rear of the front wheel well..and on the front bumper. are they on stock rims?? if so...i think that explains it.

SSIKORA, i didnt have to do any trimming. i think that there is a bit of difference between the fenderwells on the sports and xlt 4 door. i kno wmy friend has a stock 96 sport 2wd and i dont think that 31s would fit. Remember there is nothing wrong with a good trim job some people prefer to go with high cut fenders as long as it doesnt limit wheel travel. your true ground clearance is based on tire hieght and you can always mod your bumpers for approach angles.

All of your trucks look awesome!

But, what do you think is the minimum you would have to do to get 33s under a 2000 X? I do not do too much serious off-roading. I fly-fish a lot and hunt a lot. So, I do a lot of muddy field driving and logging road driving. So, I do not "need" to have the 33s, but it would be nice. The reason I am interested in the 33s is because I can get 4 (black steel) rims and 4 (no-name) tires (with good tread) for $80.

My thoughts were to "daily drive" with my stock tires (or go up to 31s), then when I think I am going to need 33s (prior to hunting/fishing), simply put them on. What do you think?

Thnks!

Back