fix or sell? 02 4x4 4.6 V8 Eddie Bauer Expl | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

fix or sell? 02 4x4 4.6 V8 Eddie Bauer Expl

eyeontech

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
'02 EB Explorer 4x4
I'm the original owner, engine looses coolant - have to fill the reservoir daily. Check engine comes on, getting misfire on a cylinder. The truck runs, but idles very rough and will not pass smog. Not seeing any visible coolant leaking. I really like the truck, but not sure how to proceed. I can do some repairs, but limited skills under the hood. I was reading about the vacuum leaks causing rough idles, from what I am describing what should I check first or read up on about this engine. I get the feeling that there are a few known issues. Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Your intake manifold is leaking, and the coolant is going into the spark plug/coil well(s) causing the misfire. The intake can be had for <$200, and it takes half of a day for a novice to swap it out. Definitely get it fixed as soon as possible, as otherwise you will be replacing at least one coil if it is left for too long. I certainly would not sell the vehicle over a common failure like this.

Agree with Josh. i have had 4.6's, and he is correct. Usually the rear passenger side plug getting coolant into the plug socket hole, but can be any of them. and yes coolant leaking into the intake, also allows coolant into the piston cylinder via intake valve. excessive piston wear due to the coolant in there, and even a possibility of cracking the top of a piston if too much coolant is in the cylinder, and higher rpm's. GREAT SUV/ENGINE COMBO. Fix it, don't sell it.

The intake manifold leak is a very common issue with the 4.6 v8. Replacing this is not a difficult job if you're mechanically inclined. The dorman intake manifold replacement is just below $200 online. I bought mine at craigslist for $100, took a day to remove and replace.

-----------------------------------------------------------
MY MOUNTY
http://www.facebook.com/diyfordexplorer/photos_albums

Thanks for the posts, really appreciate it, I like the truck and would great to get it running better/fixed. If anyone would help by posting a link to the part I would appreciate it. I don't work on cars often - been a few years, but looking forward to getting under the hood. I have a friend that can help me out with the repair. Someone also hit my driver side mirror. It is cracked and held in with tape, to repair this do I need to get the entire unit or can it you just get parts?

Also is there anything else that I should replace while I am doing the intake?

Back