Fixing the Broken Recliner Lever, By CBoug76 | Page 3 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixing the Broken Recliner Lever, By CBoug76

mine broke in a good spot, i just leave it there, lol

LOL mine too. it broke right after i got my seat where i wanted it. Good thing i get dealers discounts on all OEM ford parts and some aftermarket too... so i can get this handle hopefully for 20 bucks. thanks for the write up also.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer seat bracket broken

Yes it helps if you are fortunate enough to have access to a Ford discount. Mine was $63.00 ordering through the employee web site. Also picked up an OAT sensor at the same time. It's 6 degrees above zero here today so will wait for warmer weather to piddle with either. Think I will handg on to the broken bracket and maybe drill the rivet out and have it welded as a spare.

Thanks for this post. I bought my Ex 2nd hand and was amazed the thing didn't have a recliner lever or motor. It is way too straight and causes me back aches. Anyway, thanks to this post I discovered where the lever would have been and considering I don't have the lever I will use the strap.

Explorer OAT sensor

The sensor did the trick. Fairly cheap fix if one likes everything working for $20.00. Think I'll weld the old bracket since they break at a rivet and there's no pivot point involved.

Second one for me, one on a 97 sport about seven years ago and back then the replacement was OEM. Took a couple of hours. Same thing on a 98 sport and the claim was it was an updated design...they changed the steel to malable (softer steel) so it bends rather then snaps off. Had been told there's an even later change / fix but it the angle and location's the came clothing and butts will continue to cause problems.
(daughter now has the 98 and the lever's been bent so many times its gonna break)
98 Sport. 78K miles. Installed 2002 nerf bars three yeas ago as the OEM's rusted out twice (once under the three year warranty).

Second one for me, one on a 97 sport about seven years ago and back then the replacement was OEM. Took a couple of hours. Same thing on a 98 sport and the claim was it was an updated design...they changed the steel to malable (softer steel) so it bends rather then snaps off. Had been told there's an even later change / fix but it the angle and location's the came clothing and butts will continue to cause problems.
(daughter now has the 98 and the lever's been bent so many times its gonna break)
98 Sport. 78K miles. Installed 2002 nerf bars three yeas ago as the OEM's rusted out twice (once under the three year warranty).

Just had both sides done on my 99

I watched the mechanic do it tonight. Interesting - especially the top bolt. Drivers side was completely missing and passenger side broke while he replaced it. Great to have both of them working now. By the way I was at Ford last Thursday and they wanted 217.00 for the drivers side and the passenger side is unavailable now. (Vancouver BC Canada)

I got mine from Craigslist (and the mechanic) for 25.00 a side and he installed em for 50.00 while I waited. He took them off an explorer he had in the yard and then reinstalled them on mine.

Explorer tilt lever

Wow 25.00. Will have to check this out for my daughter. For me dealing with the plastic trim and bottom screw was a pain. The top screw while a bear to get at can be removed by pushing the leather / fabric up.

Thank you for this post! Even though I'm not a "car guy" I was able to fix this problem! The part isn't around anymore but I was able to order one through e-bay. Even purchasing all the tools myself, all in cost was less than $100.

Back