Fixing the Broken Recliner Lever, By CBoug76 | Page 2 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fixing the Broken Recliner Lever, By CBoug76

This is a POOR design by Ford.
both mine are gone now, I use robogrips to get in teh back seat.

No way am I going to the dealer for the replacement, it will just break again, lifted truck = butt grabs handle = broken

I am going to use a nylon strap to fix both sides, you will actually have to pull the strap and there will be no hard handle to grab and bend. I will weld the broken units. :)

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I just got a safety recall notification in the mail from Ford that supposedly addresses this problem.

Really!!! What does it say?

I don't know exactly what it says, I don't have it with me right now, but it says something like the seat recliner lever can break off of the drivers seat, causing the seat to recline while driving, which could result in a loss of control of the vehicle. It says to bring the letter to the dealership, and they will fix it free of charge. Hasn't anyone else recieved a letter like this?

I got the recall notice and it says (A bolt that attaches the seat recliner mechanism to the driver seat back frame on your vehicle may fracture.) This is not for the lever. it is for the bolt that holds the seat back to the mechinism.

we went to the junkyard the other day and tore a lever out of a '94 and put it right into my '98. It only set me back $6.50, instead of the $100+ that the dealership wanted to charge me.

Does anyone know what year Ford improved the lever? I may hit the junk yard, don't want to get the same crappy model though.

and the award for the most original idea goes to.....

Well when my recliner lever broke the day after i turned 16 and got my explorer...after picking the lever up and violently throwing it across my garage because the seat was in the strait up position(not too comfortable, ya'll should try it sometime)i busted out the handy dandy big ole flat head screwdriver and it works great, and my leg doesnt snag on a hanle every time i get out of the car

I got a recall notice from ford on this part

Originally posted by 00sport4x4
I got a recall notice from ford on this part

I got the recall letter too, I think Flyin5.0 is right, it's not for the lever itself. My '93 Ex had badly designed levers too - in the same spot. The levers never broke, but the flexing of the levers broke the plastic housing on the side of the seat...

The '98's levers look like they'll go any day. I love the nylon strap idea. I bet the same strap they use on the center armrest release on the F250/F350 Superduty will work. If mine goes, I'll head to a junkyard and buy that strap! Excellent idea 410Fortune! :cool:

the photo's have been fixed on the Original post of this thread.

...and I was just starting to wonder if I was going to be able to have mine repaired/replaced!
In Australia here there arent as many Explorers as in the USA though hopefully I will be able to get mine repaired, I have a used car warranty when I purchased the car so hopefully I will be able to get it repaired as a safety defect!

I was just in the dealer last week and checked on the lever out of curiosity. The assy is now 75 bucks. Pretty good inflation there. I'm going to check into the strap idea too.

Strap idea works well, my lever broke on my '93 in umm back about 6 years ago (wow it has been that long) All I did seeing that I was out at the time and the lever broke when the seat was all the way reclined, broke out my climbing gear, took about a foot of 1 inch tublar climbing webbing (carryed by all stores that carry rock climbing gear, comes in all colors, and also comes in 1/2 inch size, most rated for about 3500 lbs breaking strength~ cost per foot is about 50 cents I suggest using normal nylon tublar webbing) looped it though the bracket where the handle broke and knotted it, I'll try to remind myself to take a pic of how I did mine when i work on my truck today

(Edit added price of webbing)

After looking at it, i put the webbing inbetween the lever and the spring~ see below

Pic of seat with webbing lever
SeatMod204.jpg

How it went in...
WebbingRouting205.jpg

My 50cent fix :D (note, been using this for around 5 years)

Is this the same recliner unit I need to replace so my seat is not back one setting (recline) than what its supposed to be?

I leaned on it too hard the one time, and now its back a setting, and won't go up any more.

thanks!

Yikes. Your webbing design is a good idea but check it out.

I took some strap material from an old backpack. I cut them to length and sewed loops in both ends. One end the loop is large enough for me to put tow fingers through, the other loop is large enough for a thick piece of wire.

I drilled out the rivet that used to hold the handle on, right near where it broke.
I ran a piece of thick wire through the hole and through the end of the new strap.

Now I have pull straps on both drivers and pass side seats, they look like Ford put them there, both seats work perfectly and my pants dont catch the metal handle each time I get in and out of the truck.

I will try to get a picture......

I've been driving mine around for about a year and a half broken. I need to get this fixed. I think I'll do the cheap fix. It's a good thing it broke in a comfortable position. Looks like it's time to get a strap.

410fortune did you ever get a picture of your setup...this jstu happened to me, and since i have a sport and it is on the passenger side it is important that i get it fixed....but $50 is to much for me

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Explorer seat tilt lever broken

Drivers side OEM part number is F77Z-9862649-AA and lists for $93.00. Years back this thread referenced a part number XL2A-7862649-AA and the vendor. Have tried all the Ford parts web sites and cannot find mention of the new improved part number. Ford employees can get a 25% discount on the OEM part which is still $63.00 plus....anyone know where the improved lever can be found? According to Google there was a problem between the suggested web site and the Ford logo so that site today doesn't list the newer part number and want's $75.00 plus for the OEM part.

Back