• Register Today It's free!

Flashing 4High and 4Low

ibleedblue

Reaction score
City, State
Arizona
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT
Was wondering if anyone had had a similar problem?

About a year ago I had both my 4High and 4Low flashing six times then cycling again about two to three minutes. Took it in and they said my transfer case speed sensors were out of alignment. They said they corrected and no more flashing lights. Well they're back. Just trying to figure it out without paying for another diagnostic fee. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate it.

My 95 has the same problem, but my $200 diagnostic said it was a piece on the front axle was bad that would cost $400 to purchase. Well I do not beleive that is the problem so I am not going to fix it and I'm out $200. Good luck and sorry I'm not any help.

Originally posted by C Jeff
My 95 has the same problem, but my $200 diagnostic said it was a piece on the front axle was bad that would cost $400 to purchase. Well I do not beleive that is the problem so I am not going to fix it and I'm out $200. Good luck and sorry I'm not any help.

The sensors are just magnets that plug into the transfer case. The plug may have come loose, or the sensor may just be dirty. You don't have to remove the t/f case to check/clean them. Try resetting the computer by disconnecting the battery. If all else fails, you may need to get new sensors.

Probably a long shot - but could it be the switch?

When I had my dash out and the ignition on (ie: switch disconnected) the lights flashed the same way.

Back