Flashing 4x4 lights, no interior lights or windows | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flashing 4x4 lights, no interior lights or windows

cooldog

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer
Hey, I've been reading the forum for a long time however this is my first post. I started up my truck today and the 4x4 high and lows are flashing every couple minutes, 4x4 doesn't work, interior lights (except dash lights) and power windows dont work.

I have a 2000, I have read many posts about the relays being the problem. I am an electrical engineer so i pulled out every relay (under the hood and the box above the gas petal) and tested them. They all work perfectly and I've check every fuse in the truck.

Im out of ideas on what to do and what to check.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Already answered......

There are many answers here for that issue, but for the sake of getting your question answered, it is probably the 10A fuse located in the fuse panel on the left hand side of the instrument cluster. I believe it is Fuse #10, but I am doing this from memory.

Or possibly the dimmer switch. I've got mine unhooked until I get the get up and go to put the new unit in.

Hey, I've been reading the forum for a long time however this is my first post. I started up my truck today and the 4x4 high and lows are flashing every couple minutes, 4x4 doesn't work, interior lights (except dash lights) and power windows dont work.

I have a 2000, I have read many posts about the relays being the problem. I am an electrical engineer so i pulled out every relay (under the hood and the box above the gas petal) and tested them. They all work perfectly and I've check every fuse in the truck.

Im out of ideas on what to do and what to check.

well you need to do some more "engineerin'".... :) as you know, it takes more than testing the component for functionality, you also need to have the conditions right for operation / functionality. check to see if you are indeed getting voltage at the coils (and grounds) of the various relays, in particular the battery saver, and accessory delay. Both of those need to be operated with "key on" to get something happening at your windows.

Lastly, of course do some searching, lots of posts like is this area will give you a few more ideas of possible issues / solutions.

Tsb 98-13-19

ISSUE:

A flashing 4X4 lamp and/or a intermittent or loss of:
  • Power windows
  • Interior lights
  • Rear wiper (if equipped)
  • Moon roof (if equipped)
  • 4x4 system (if equipped)
may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by an intermittent Battery Saver, Accessory Delay or One-Touch-Down Relay operation and possible chafing of vehicle wire harness.
ACTION:

Repair the affected circuit, and/or replace the Battery Saver, Accessory Delay, or One-Touch-Down Relay. Refer to the following Diagnostic/Service Procedure for details before replacing any components.
DIAGNOSTIC/SERVICE PROCEDURE

Accurately RECORD ALL Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM). The following codes can be generated by a faulty relay:
  • B1371-Illuminated Entry Relay-Circuit
  • B1302-Accessory Delay Relay-Circuit
  • B1398-One-Touch-Down Relay-Circuit 1
  • B1814-Rear Wiper Motor Down Relay-Circuit
  • B1818-Rear Wiper Motor Up Relay-Circuit
  • P1820-Transfer Case L2H Relay-Circuit
  • P1824-Clutch Relay-Circuit
  • P1828-Transfer Case H2L Relay-Circuit
DIAGNOSIS

1. If you have any of these codes B1371, B1814, B1818, and/or the interior lights or rear wipers are part of the customer concerns, go to Step 12. Otherwise locate the Accesory Delay Relay and proceed to next Step.
  2. Put key in "RUN."
    1. If conditions are repeatable, go to Step 3.
    2. If conditions are not repeatable, follow standard GEM troubleshooting procedures.
  3. Operate the windows until they fail then proceed to next Step.
  4. Remove relay from relay box then proceed to next Step.
  5. Check for battery voltage at Pin 87.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 6.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 23.
  6. Check for battery voltage at Pin 86.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 8.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 7.
  7. Locate the Battery Saver Relay and check Pin 3 for battery voltage.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 23.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 16.
  8. Return the Accessory Delay Relay back to the relay box then proceed to next Step.
  9. Check for Ground at Pin 85.
    1. If Ground is present, go to Step 10.
    2. If Ground is not present, follow standard GEM troubleshooting procedures.
  10. Check for battery voltage at Pin 30.
    1. If battery voltage is present, follow normal GEM diagnostic procedures.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 11.
  11. Check all female terminals at the relay.
    1. If all terminals are tight and all wiring crimps are good, REPLACE the Accessory Delay Relay, then go to Step 22.
    2. Make sure all terminals are tight and all wiring crimps are secure then go to Step 9.
  12. Locate the Battery Saver Relay.
  13. Put key in "RUN."
    1. If conditions are repeatable, go to Step 14.
    2. If conditions are not repeatable, follow standard GEM troubleshooting procedures.
  14. Operate the windows until they fail then proceed to next Step.
  15. Remove relay from relay box then proceed to next Step.
  16. Check for battery voltage at Pin 1.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 17.
  17. Check for battery voltage at Pin 5.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 18.
  18. Return the Battery Saver Relay back to the relay box then proceed to next Step.
  19. Check for Ground at Pin 2.
    1. If Ground is present, go to Step 20.
  20. Check for battery voltage at Pin 3.
    1. If battery voltage is present, follow standard GEM troubleshooting procedures.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 21.
  21. Check all female terminals at the relay.
    1. If all terminals are tight and all wiring crimps are good, REPLACE the Battery Saver Relay, then go to Step 22.
    2. Make sure all terminals are tight and all wiring crimps are secure then go to Step 19.
  22. Verify all concerns are corrected.
    1. If all concerns are corrected, return vehicle to customer.
    2. If all concerns are NOT corrected, go to Step 23.
  23. This is Not a GEM-related issue. Follow standard troubleshooting procedures.

Tsb 98-13-19

ISSUE:

A flashing 4X4 lamp and/or a intermittent or loss of:
  • Power windows
  • Interior lights
  • Rear wiper (if equipped)
  • Moon roof (if equipped)
  • 4x4 system (if equipped)
may occur on some vehicles. This may be caused by an intermittent Battery Saver, Accessory Delay or One-Touch-Down Relay operation and possible chafing of vehicle wire harness.
ACTION:

Repair the affected circuit, and/or replace the Battery Saver, Accessory Delay, or One-Touch-Down Relay. Refer to the following Diagnostic/Service Procedure for details before replacing any components.
DIAGNOSTIC/SERVICE PROCEDURE

Accurately RECORD ALL Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from the Generic Electronic Module (GEM). The following codes can be generated by a faulty relay:
  • B1371-Illuminated Entry Relay-Circuit
  • B1302-Accessory Delay Relay-Circuit
  • B1398-One-Touch-Down Relay-Circuit 1
  • B1814-Rear Wiper Motor Down Relay-Circuit
  • B1818-Rear Wiper Motor Up Relay-Circuit
  • P1820-Transfer Case L2H Relay-Circuit
  • P1824-Clutch Relay-Circuit
  • P1828-Transfer Case H2L Relay-Circuit
DIAGNOSIS

1. If you have any of these codes B1371, B1814, B1818, and/or the interior lights or rear wipers are part of the customer concerns, go to Step 12. Otherwise locate the Accesory Delay Relay and proceed to next Step.
  2. Put key in "RUN."
    1. If conditions are repeatable, go to Step 3.
  3. Operate the windows until they fail then proceed to next Step.
  4. Remove relay from relay box then proceed to next Step.
  5. Check for battery voltage at Pin 87.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 6.
  6. Check for battery voltage at Pin 86.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 8.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 7.
  7. Locate the Battery Saver Relay and check Pin 3 for battery voltage.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 23.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 16.
  8. Return the Accessory Delay Relay back to the relay box then proceed to next Step.
  9. Check for Ground at Pin 85.
    1. If Ground is present, go to Step 10.
  10. Check for battery voltage at Pin 30.
    1. If battery voltage is present, follow normal GEM diagnostic procedures.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 11.
  11. Check all female terminals at the relay.
    1. If all terminals are tight and all wiring crimps are good, REPLACE the Accessory Delay Relay, then go to Step 22.
    2. Make sure all terminals are tight and all wiring crimps are secure then go to Step 9.
  12. Locate the Battery Saver Relay.
  13. Put key in "RUN."
    1. If conditions are repeatable, go to Step 14.
  14. Operate the windows until they fail then proceed to next Step.
  15. Remove relay from relay box then proceed to next Step.
  16. Check for battery voltage at Pin 1.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 17.
  17. Check for battery voltage at Pin 5.
    1. If battery voltage is present, go to Step 18.
  18. Return the Battery Saver Relay back to the relay box then proceed to next Step.
  19. Check for Ground at Pin 2.
    1. If Ground is present, go to Step 20.
  20. Check for battery voltage at Pin 3.
    1. If battery voltage is present, follow standard GEM troubleshooting procedures.
    2. If battery voltage is not present, go to Step 21.
  21. Check all female terminals at the relay.
    1. If all terminals are tight and all wiring crimps are good, REPLACE the Battery Saver Relay, then go to Step 22.
    2. Make sure all terminals are tight and all wiring crimps are secure then go to Step 19.
  22. Verify all concerns are corrected.
    1. If all concerns are corrected, return vehicle to customer.
    2. If all concerns are NOT corrected, go to Step 23.
  23. This is Not a GEM-related issue. Follow standard troubleshooting procedures.
How did u find this information? Was this copy /pasted or did u write all of that? I would love to have the source for that info and info like it!!!!

He has a magic keyboard:)

Mine was the GEM. Swapped relays, checked for broken wires. In desperation found a GEM on EBAY with matching numbers and problem solved. Best $35.00 investment I could have made.

Back