• Register Today It's free!

Flashing 4x4 Lights + No 4WD Low?

pjmartin

Reaction score
City, State
Cornwall, UK
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 4.0 LPG
Hi Guys, kinda new on here but need your help please.
I have a 97 UK spec 4.0V6 with Lpg gas conversion (this may become relevant?). I noticed shortly after buying the car that the 4x4 warning lights on the dash flash, also when selecting the switch to 4WD the lights dont come on at all, 4WD Low does not seem to work at all, feels like you're still in Hi ratio.
When I checked with the previous owner, he said that he lived in the city and never used the 4WD and didn't notice the flashing lights (how! try driving along the motorway/freeway on a dark rainy night with them flashing?) and also said that he bought it from the guy who had the gas conversion fitted and seemed to remember that it started back then, poss an ecu programming thing maybe??
Have searched the forums and found some other similar problems but the fuses all look ok, the power windows still work, and the ABS seems to work ok.

Need to mow my paddocks soon so will need the 4 wheel low, can't afford to run a tractor AND an Explorer with UK fuel at £1.25 litre - I make that just over 11 bucks a gallon!!!!!!:rant:

Any suggestions please???

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The 4wd lights are flashing because the computer is seeing a problem with your transfer case. Check your wiring connectors on the tcase, maybe it's just as simple as that.
With that light flashing, I don't think it will shift into 4wd at all. Are you sure you still get 4hi?

As said above, if the lights flash the GEM sees a problem. It goes into limp home mode. For the TC that means 2WD under all circumstances. Tracing the problem is likely difficult and repair may be a little pricey. If fuses are OK, check connections. You may try disconnecting the battery to reset the computer (20-30) min will ensure this. For all systems to go back to normal you'll need 5-7 drive cycles. Then check to see exactly how your system is functioning; ie. 2WD always, 4WD but no low, etc with each dash switch position.

This happened to me last year. I just disconnected the battery for 20 min and was good to go. Lights went away and I had my 4WD back.

Thanks guys, next problem, Front Axle??

Thanks guys, had a play around with the relays etc today and something seems to have happened, the lights no longer flash (YET), I can still not get 4 Lo despite relays clicking but now can get 4 Hi, but this may have unearthed a new problem..... when I tried it on road, the front axle was really noisy for a while and the steering was pulling left/right quite badly, causing me to swerve (lucky only doing around 30mph on a quiet road) gradually got a little quieter but still strange steering and pulling slightly right.

Could it be that, as the replies above seem to suggest, maybe the car has been in limp home mode for years and I have "awoken the beast?"

Thanks guys, had a play around with the relays etc today and something seems to have happened, the lights no longer flash (YET), I can still not get 4 Lo despite relays clicking but now can get 4 Hi, but this may have unearthed a new problem..... when I tried it on road, the front axle was really noisy for a while and the steering was pulling left/right quite badly, causing me to swerve (lucky only doing around 30mph on a quiet road) gradually got a little quieter but still strange steering and pulling slightly right.

Could it be that, as the replies above seem to suggest, maybe the car has been in limp home mode for years and I have "awoken the beast?"

Make sure you followed the instructions on shifting into 4low as shown on the visor. Also, don't use 4wd on dry pavement. Only use it in mud/snow. The binding you experience is caused by the lack of slack in the driveline in 4wd on pavement, it has no room to give.

Back