• Register Today It's free!

Flashing O/D Off Light

tigertail222

Reaction score
City, State
Ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
I have a 97 Explorer 4x4 and the overdrive off light is flashing on the dash. I don't have overdrive to use on the tranny either. Can someone tell me why?
Cheers,
Mike

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

First step would be to check which codes are being thrown by the vehicles computer (the flashing light is an indication of a transmission malfunction or sensor failure). Check the codes with a code scanner or go to an auto parts store and have them do it for you. This will give you a better idea of what may be wrong.

It could be anything from a simple coolant temp or vehicle speed sensor failure to a broken band and or servo.....do some searching around the site and you will find lots of similar stories :)

OK, a wild guess would be P0741 Torque Converter Clutch System Stuck Off. Trust me, don't continue to drive that truck. And as posted by hobbitak, get the codes read. Chances are AAP, AutoZone, etc. will not have the level of scanner required to read Ford transmission codes, just an FYI.

PS: What engine do you have?

OK, a wild guess would be P0741 Torque Converter Clutch System Stuck Off. Trust me, don't continue to drive that truck.

What would be the possible consequences of driving the truck if TCC was stuck off? If it was just a solenoid problem that was not engaging the TCC wouldn't you theoretically just not achieve Torque Converter Lockup and the ECCM wouldn't allow the truck to shift into OD? Of course if the TCC was stuck locked in it would be wanting to stall while stopped with the brake applied.

Not sure if I am right about any of that just wondering what you might think

What would be the possible consequences of driving the truck if TCC was stuck off? If it was just a solenoid problem that was not engaging the TCC wouldn't you theoretically just not achieve Torque Converter Lockup and the ECCM wouldn't allow the truck to shift into OD? Of course if the TCC was stuck locked in it would be wanting to stall while stopped with the brake applied.

Not sure if I am right about any of that just wondering what you might think

Based on my very limited knowledge, it is my understanding that without a good TCC lock-up, the transmission fluid can overheat. Also there is going to be some destructive slippage of the TCC.

I drove my truck with an intermittent flashing O/D OFF light. I experienced a serious vehicle fire as a result. The consequences go on & on, because when you frag a torque converter, the entire transmission itself is then contaminated, via the fluid, with debris. The coolers & lines are also contaminated, I think you get the picture.

There is a good transmission shop in town, and they have a display in their window of a dissected torque converter. You can clearly see how the steel housing has turned blue from the TCC slipping.

Without a good lock-up, the RPMs at cruising speed are higher than what you are used to seeing, and can be mistaken for a no-overdrive condition.

Of course all of this speculation until we know what codes are stored.

Thank you for the responses. My engine is a 4.0 L. I have driven it a couple of times, and there is some slippage, and the engine heats up quicker because of the higher rpm's. will see the mechanic.
Cheers,
Mike

Cool, Mike...let us know how it goes, or post back up if you need anything.
Best wishes.

Hope for the best but certainly get it checked out. When mine started flashing, the tranny gave up shortly thereafter.

hi, Thanks for the replies and ideas. After checking the Haynes manual, the two things I could check without a mechanic are the on off switch on the shifter, and the fuse. The fuse was good, and I found the switch, (pushbutton) was stuck. So after playing a bit I got it free, started the truck and pushed it a few times and the od light came on and then off. So I took it for a spin and then up to highway speed and all is working the way it should. No slippage, or overheating. Lets hope this is the end of it!! It is to cold to do tranny work!!!
Hope the holidays are good for all of you.
Cheers,
Mike

hi, Thanks for the replies and ideas. After checking the Haynes manual, the two things I could check without a mechanic are the on off switch on the shifter, and the fuse. The fuse was good, and I found the switch, (pushbutton) was stuck. So after playing a bit I got it free, started the truck and pushed it a few times and the od light came on and then off. So I took it for a spin and then up to highway speed and all is working the way it should. No slippage, or overheating. Lets hope this is the end of it!! It is to cold to do tranny work!!!
Hope the holidays are good for all of you.
Cheers,
Mike
Which fuse was it? My 99 sport SOHC has the light on the dash out, but overdrive still works.

Should be fuse 27, but that’s also your backup lights. The original poster didn’t just have a stuck button. That won’t cause it to slip. I’d be willing to bet they rebuilt that transmission not long after.

Back