Flex fuel? | Page 4 | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flex fuel?

I wonder why some 2013 models are flex fuel and some are not?? Is flex fuel limited to FWD models only?

Peter

Mine is 4WD and is flex fuel.... Non-California emissions....

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I live in California and my 4WD Explorer is Flex Fuel. I filled it up with diesel this afternoon. I didn't get very far though :D

I wonder why some 2013 models are flex fuel and some are not?? Is flex fuel limited to FWD models only? Curious, if other brand vehicles in CA are available with flex fuel, why not the Explorer?

The evidence so far suggests that Explorers with California Emissions are not Flex Fuel, while Explorers without California Emissions are Flex Fuel. This is not necessarily the case across other types of vehicles. For example, my Dodge Journey is not Flex Fuel because it is an AWD model. The FWD model Journey's are Flex Fuel.

The evidence so far suggests that Explorers with California Emissions are not Flex Fuel, while Explorers without California Emissions are Flex Fuel. This is not necessarily the case across other types of vehicles. My Dodge Journey is not Flex Fuel because it is an AWD model. The FWD model Journey's are Flex Fuel.

I'm in California and my Explorer is not Flex Fuel. I don't know if it's due to California Emissions or not since other brands of vehicles here have the flex fuel option.

I'm in California and my Explorer is not Flex Fuel. I don't know if it's due to California Emissions or not since other brands of vehicles here have the flex fuel option.

Yes, there is nothing in general that would prevent a vehicle from having California Emissions AND be compatible with flex fuel. However, it would appear that Ford did it that way for some reason. Perhaps their engine couldn't quite meet the California Emissions standards when running on E85, so they just decided to take off the Flex Fuel feature instead of tweaking the engine to meet the standards.

I'm far from California, but my Explorer has California Emissions, so it's not compatible with flex fuel. Doesn't really bother me since there's no such thing as E85 in my state.

Yes, there is nothing in general that would prevent a vehicle from having California Emissions AND be compatible with flex fuel. However, it would appear that Ford did it that way for some reason. Perhaps their engine couldn't quite meet the California Emissions standards when running on E85, so they just decided to take off the Flex Fuel feature instead of tweaking the engine to meet the standards.

I'm far from California, but my Explorer has California Emissions, so it's not compatible with flex fuel. Doesn't really bother me since there's no such thing as E85 in my state.

I just looked inside the gas cover on my Explorer just to see what it says. Mine says Gasoline/E10 and No E20-E85 on the inside. I believe E10 is just 87 octane with 10% ethanal. I do notice many gas stations here say the gas may contain ethanol. Personally, it doesn't bother me that my Explorer isn't Flex Fuel. From what I've read, you get worse gas mileage using gasoline mixed with a higher percentage of ethanol such as E85.

It would not have mattered to most. I keep my vehicles 10 years and who knows what kind of "fuel" will become mandatory by then? Peace of mind knowing it will not matter to me or cause an expensive upgrade to get "up to par"....

Man, I go on vacation and missed a shout out!! WTH!! LOL.

Yep mine is flex fuel, 4WD (I think...I don't really understand the difference between 4WD and AWD, but I think the sales guy gave us the 'well its a 4WD vehicle but it kicks into AWD if it needs it so its like an AWD vehicle...or something like that??) But I know it is 4WD at least because we didn't get the ecoboost because the ecoboost is not 4WD.

bluex232 has a 2013 Flex Fuel Explorer. It doesn't state if it is AWD or FWD.
http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=354890&highlight=flex+fuel

Peter

No, mine has a black ring (no cap) that specifically says not to put E15-E85 in it. Mine does have California emissions. Maybe that's the deciding factor. We need more data points. Anyone else?

I did research on this as my 2013 in Washington state was not flex fuel capable as well.

Turns out that any state that uses cali's emissions will not allow flex fuel vehicles because they emit too many pollutants before the engine heats up all the way. If I understood what I read that is bc flex fuel has more alcohol content which has a higher temp for combustion....?

I was really bummed about this.... Oh well just more interference from big gov... Ironically here in Seattle, they have a fleet of flex fuel cars they advertise as more enviro friendly... Good for the goose.... But not the gander I guess lol

I did research on this as my 2013 in Washington state was not flex fuel capable as well.

Turns out that any state that uses cali's emissions will not allow flex fuel vehicles because they emit too many pollutants before the engine heats up all the way. If I understood what I read that is bc flex fuel has more alcohol content which has a higher temp for combustion....?

I was really bummed about this.... Oh well just more interference from big gov... Ironically here in Seattle, they have a fleet of flex fuel cars they advertise as more enviro friendly... Good for the goose.... But not the gander I guess lol

Enviro friendly? Thats nothing more than BS, it costs more to make, you have to use more of it, quite a bit more. You'll get more envirofriendly results out of not using it.

I think they were going off the idea that ethanol (corn) is renewable while oil is not... Don't kill me. I'm just the messenger and a fan of good ol' gas. I just wanted the feature on my ex in case OPEC decided to really bend us over and gas got to something absurd like $8 a gallon

Well, if OPEC forces the hand for even 5.50 a gallon that would be enough to send our economy into a tail spin egardless of whos in the office of presidency.......it did before at 5.00 per gallon a couple of years ago.

Well, if OPEC forces the hand for even 5.50 a gallon that would be enough to send our economy into a tail spin egardless of whos in the office of presidency.......it did before at 5.00 per gallon a couple of years ago.

Living in California, we usually always have the highest gas prices in the country. The part that makes me sick is that the majority of oil California uses comes from right here in California.

Turns out that any state that uses cali's emissions will not allow flex fuel vehicles because they emit too many pollutants before the engine heats up all the way.

That seems to be the case for the Explorer, but that's definitely not the case for all cars in all states with California Emissions requirements. There are several makes and models of cars for sale in VT that are Flex Fuel capable.

So, which is better - The 3.5L V6 with FlexFuel capability or without?

quote="BigDog13, post: 3026843"]So, which is better - The 3.5L V6 with FlexFuel capability or without?[/QUOTE]I don't think the customer, when ordering, has any control over that capability. In any case just because it has flex fuel capability doesn't mean it has to be used.

Peter

I've seen 2013 Explorer Limited with and without the FlexFuel thing. I have 4wd and FlexFuel but I have seen the Limited with 4wd and not have FlexFuel. I was wondering if there are differences in fuel economy etc.

I've seen 2013 Explorer Limited with and without the FlexFuel thing. I have 4wd and FlexFuel but I have seen the Limited with 4wd and not have FlexFuel. I was wondering if there are differences in fuel economy etc.
I would think that using flex fuel would lessen your MPG since it contains a very large amount of ethanol which when burning has a lower energy output. Straight gasoline without an ethanol blend should give you the best mileage.
Most, if not all, the gas sold here contains 10% ethanol.

http://www.howstuffworks.com/fuel-efficiency/alternative-fuels/how-e85-ethanol-flex-fuel-works.htm

Peter

Flex Fuel and California Emissions

I live in a free-for-all state, South Carolina, where we don't even inspect our vehicles. I just located a 2014 Explorer that might be a suitable replacment for my '03.

However, the 2014 Ex is in a California Emissions state. These vehicles have California Emissions and the engines are not labeled for be Flex Fuel which I assume is ethanol greater than 15%.

Does anyone know whether there is, in fact, a mechanical reason that higher ethanol blends can't be used in a California Emission vehicle or is it just because higher ethanol blends don't meet California Emission standards?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

There are Explorers that have the Flex Fuel symbol on them. If the vehicle is not designed for Flex Fuel operation DO NOT USE E85 gasoline.
I have moved your post to an existing thread on the topic.

Peter

Back