• Register Today It's free!

Flip Down TV HELP PLEASE!

cfmirage

Reaction score
City, State
Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
02' XLT V8
Sup guys, just got my explorer. Its an 02 XLT V8. Anyways i bought a Flip Down Tv last night, an audiovox 8.5 widescreen with built in dvd. Unfortunately I had to return it within 20 mins :fire: due to when i got to the installation bay, the installer said he could not install it :( . He said that due to my a/c controls and the contour of the roof, there was no way to mount it properly. Does anyone have any info on possible relocating the a/c knobs or what should i do to get this tv in. He said that most fords have just a flat roof and arent a problem but since mine was curved, id either have to get a smaller unit, or one with a larger....um...the plastic mounting piece...not sure what he called it, but a larger one that he could cut to fit the contour. Any help greatly appreciated, have to get it in soon cuz were going on vacation soon and my 4 yr olds gotta have one.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

What happened to vacations where the kids had to entertain themselves? I never had DVD! Sorry I can't help though :p

Welcome to the site! Somone will be along to help you!

There's always a way to do something, sounds like you have a lazy installer... Gasp he might actually have to do some fab work!

I think he's talking about the shroud, which is really cosmetic more than anything, the frame is what secures the unit, the shroud goes around and follows the contour of the roof making the unit aesthetically pleasing. You could get the fool to mount it and take it somewhere that does upholstery and have them blend it or upholster it smooth with your roofline.

Yes, the shroud, as far as it only being aesthetic, thats what i thought too, my wife and i thought as well that he was just one lazy ****. Ok heres the next question, is it easily done to move the a/c controls off to the side, mount them so they are just flat with the roof, not at the angle, and install the tv making some sort of form for the headliner to make it flat for the tv. The tv would mount to what part of the car?, obviously not the headliner. I have light installation experience but i think i might be getting in over my head with this one.

I guess what i need to know is how hard is it to take out the bulge of the headliner from the a/c controls, anyone gone through the same things, pics possibly?

Dont have the a/c control experience sorry, I'd guess though if they are electric all it would take is lengthening some wires, or if they are vacuum, extending some vacuum lines. Easier said than done though...

and for the forum account, most places will send you an e-mail verification - dont know about that place though.

yea ive been on several forums but they didnt tell me i had to activate or nothing, and no e-mails.

SD306A%20Small3.jpg

This is exactly how i dont want it to look, if you can tell the positioning of it, the screen is so far up its viewable by the front passenger.

This is probably going to be something you're going to have to go over with an installer, well a reputable, not so lazy one. Just hang out for a while at a stereo shop, if you have one nearby, ask to see some of the stuff they've done and go over what exactly you want done and how you want done. A good stereo shop will lay it out straight for ya, what they can and cannot do. And how much it will cost of course.

Lastly when I say reputable stereo installer, I'd shy away from the typical Best Buy or Circuit City installer - some are good guys/gals, but I've never met one personally.

I dont see why a good installer couldn't put the base for your screen right over the hole for your A/C controls and then adapt the A/C controls into the base for the screen. It would put the screen in about the right place and the controls would only have to be moved a few inches. The wires may not even need extending. The only problem I can think of is if it makes the base too tall. (making the screen hang down too far.) Any good installer should be able to do this.

HEY, i'm an installer at best buy in kansas city, mo and like to think i have a good reputation. granted that i've worked there for almost three years but have only actually been present for about one year of them (army guard). he's kinda right though. usually mobile audio/video stores have the better installers as long as it's not a ma & pa place on wheels. never trust a business that works out of a trailer or a mobile home!

kelly2 said:
HEY, i'm an installer at best buy in kansas city, mo and like to think i have a good reputation. granted that i've worked there for almost three years but have only actually been present for about one year of them (army guard). he's kinda right though. usually mobile audio/video stores have the better installers as long as it's not a ma & pa place on wheels. never trust a business that works out of a trailer or a mobile home!

Yeah that's why I chose my words carefully, I'm sure there are some great BB/CC installers out there - just not near me or anyone I've talked to that tried to get their stuff installed at those places.

I've not gone to the best buy here since I took my buds explorer there to get a simple factory integration harness and had to go through like 4 different plugs till the guy said there wasn't one available. Went online and ordered it myself next day and now he's rockin out with his new deck. :confused:

i know dude, it was just sarcasm. it's cooooooooooo.

Back