• Register Today It's free!

Flowmaster on SOHC V6

FXplorer

Reaction score
City, State
Loxahatchee, Florida
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT
Just wondering what a Flowmaster sounds like on the 4.0 SOHC. Does it have a sound closer to a V8 or is it cheesy like all the rice-burners you see running around these days?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

which flowmaster? a 40 series will get u a nice deep tone that can be mistaken for a V8. the 50 series has all the performance but is way more mellow. neither have a sound that i would describe as ricey, particularly on a large displacement V6 like the 4.0

I'm using a 50 series (SUV) Flowmaster on my Ex with SOHC V6. Doesn't sound ricey at all, but the Magnaflow I had on before it did at times (hence why it's in the rafters in my garage now). I'm not really sure it can be confused for a V8, but I like the sound. Little droney in the cab at times, but I'm much happier with the Flowmaster than I was with the Magnaflow.

I've got X24's old video clip of his 50 series, if you really want to hear it. I don't have any way to post it, but could send it to you.

EBInterceptor said:
I've got X24's old video clip of his 50 series, if you really want to hear it. I don't have any way to post it, but could send it to you.

And duals to boot. I listened to that clip many times before I scored my Flowmaster (but I only have a single). :thumbsup:

this is a clip from draft's '98 Sport. he has true dual 40's w/ 2.5" tubing and the SOHC engine. just for fun i included my X and its magnaflow w/ 2.25" tubing.

If possible please "Save As.." instead of streaming the video from draft's site:
Draft's '98 Sport
RaginRaj's '00 XLS

They both sound good. :thumbsup: I think that they sound pretty similar, even though it is true dual 2.5" flowmaster vs. single 2.25" magnaflow.

BTW-I have the same Magnaflow setup on mine. :cool:

From what I've been reading/hearing, Magnaflows tend to sound a bit different on the OHV vs. SOHC (and also seem to sound better on the OHV than the SOHC).

Yeah, I have heard many people including you say that the Magnaflow is really loud and at times ricey on their SOHC, but on mine and every other OHV I've heard it on, it doesn't sound that way at all. When I am cruising down the street or highway, it sounds stock again, but then it has a nice deep tone when I get on it.

My Magnaflow was never too loud per se. It just got very loud in the cab from time to time (especially on highway...Hokie said the same about his in the archives). Mine did have a ricey tone at different stages of acceleration. I've heard the Magnaflow's tone called "inconsistent" (i.e. sometimes sounds good, sometimes it doesn't) on the SOHC, and that pretty much summed it up for me. The Flowmaster has been much more "consistent".

Oh yeah, I meant inside the truck.

celly said:
And duals to boot. I listened to that clip many times before I scored my Flowmaster (but I only have a single). :thumbsup:

I watched it many times before getting my 50 series. I also went with the single because of cost, but still mine sounds just like his. I still haven't finished mine off with a tip yet, that'll change the tone as well. I looked up his link a couple weeks ago to use in another thread, but it was outdated. Do have it on my computer if anyone is interested.

i really like the way my magnaflow sounds. in my opinion it's not ricey at all, it's nice and mellow when cruising (even on the highway) and it gets this deep tone when u give it some throttle. interior noise is almost negligible, especially w/ the stereo on. sometimes when i'm cruising in the city i will roll my windows down so i can please my ears w/ the sound of music and the exhaust.

raginraj said:
i really like the way my magnaflow sounds. in my opinion it's not ricey at all, it's nice and mellow when cruising (even on the highway) and it gets this deep tone when u give it some throttle. interior noise is almost negligible, especially w/ the stereo on. sometimes when i'm cruising in the city i will roll my windows down so i can please my ears w/ the sound of music and the exhaust.

Based on your video, the Magnaflow does sound good in your Ex. I don't want to come off as totally against Magnaflow. It just didn't work for me. The thing about exhaust is it is so personal. On a performance level, so many of mufflers are similar. It really does come down to the sound. I've never do a 40 series, but that's just me. Then again, I'm a 40 year old new father and I'm getting a bit old in the head I reckon. 20 years ago, I'd want as loud as possible I'm certain. ;)

Cheers!

there's a wheeling vid of me on here where you can hear my flow 50 series with 2.5" pipe... sounds really good. let me see if its still available... i might have to re-upload it
Edit: here try this: Right Click/ Save As

Back