Fluid leak between trans and transfer case | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fluid leak between trans and transfer case

jja327

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
1996 Ford Explorer XLT
I had my transmission rebuilt by a reputable shop. After the rebuild I, transmission fluid has been leaking between the trans adapter and the transfer case.

The truck has been back to the shop three times to have the gasket replaced in an attempt to solve the leak. The last time they replaced the trans adapter.

The repair seems to last about a week before leaking again. I need help diagnosing what these guys are doing wrong. I already know they are not torquing the bolts due to inability to get a wrench in the area.

So far they have been honoring the warranty for each repair. I am reluctant to go for a fourth time without having them do something different.

Please help with some ideas.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

They might be using the wrong sealant. Trans fluid can breakdown some sealants. The paper gasket and the correct sealant installed properly, should never leak, and you do not need a ton of torque on those aluminum parts. I have used Ultra black sealant alone (no gasket) and had no leaks.

A bad scenario is this, (but just guessing here is all),
They replaced the adapter, so we know that surface is flush, but what we don't know is if the trans surface is still flush. If they dropped it by chance on the adapter end, it might have done some damage to it. If it is not warped, or cracked, and just a dent, it can be fixed with a grinder, and a bunch of good sealant. Again, just a guess, but who knows what happens behind closed doors sometimes. They wouldn't admit to dropping it if they did, and you didn't see it happen (speculating).

permatex blue and let it dry for 24 hours before trans fluid comes in contact with it.

I am still having a difficult time understanding what these guys keep doing wrong. It leaked after the initial transmission rebuild. Back to the shop and it looked like they used a black silicone sealant with the paper gasket. It leaked again. On the third attempt, they replaced the transmission to transfer case adapter thinking the surface may have been messed up. It looks like they used some kind of red sealant on the gasket (doesn't look like silicone).

This seems like insanity where they keep trying the same thing expecting a different result.

If I let the shop attempt one more time, I will stick around to see if I can figure out what keeps going wrong.

Any advice if I end up pulling it apart myself?
Is there enough room underneath or do I need to get some cement blocks under the wheels (did that with a 1967 Camaro to get the trans out)?
How heavy is the transfer case and do I need a tranny jack to get it out?

T-case is about 75 lbs or so. Place a jack under it if you cant get under it good enough to bench press it down.

Took me an hour the 1st time I pulled a t-case, now I can do it about 20 mins. Most of the time is spent on the drive shafts.

Best tool to use is a 13mm ratcheting box wrench for the 5 bolts to the trans. The lower bolt wont back out all the way, but it will back out of the threads just so you know. The upper most bolt has a clip on it that holds a wire harness, make sure to pull that bolt out completely. Don't forget to disconnect the harness and speed sensor (11mm bolt). After you remove the shift motor, just ziptie it to the frame rail. You will find the brown wire is still connected to the t-case. Hopefully the shop used some type of connector to separate that when they dropped it. Once all the wires are out of the way...

Pull the t-case back ever so slightly and get ready for the fluids in the adapter to come out. Once that is drained, pull the t-case straight back until you clear the shaft, then lower it straight down. You might have to help it along the way down. Honestly it is not a bad job to do, just sounds like its a lot.

Tip:Install the front shaft first. Use a jack to lift the rear up to get the tires off the ground to be able to get the rear drive shaft back on.

Always use a good set of jack stands under the frame when working under a vehicle with the tires chocked. ;)

I have this same prob. T case leaking after trans rebuild. The gasket used is a papery cheap crap thing...

Are you sure it is coming from the seam between trans and t case?
Maybe just running down that path.

post some pics of the wet areas :)

gmanpaint - Thanks for the instructions. The last transfer case and manual trans I pulled was from a 1970 Blazer many years ago. Cast iron stuff was heavy as hell but no electronics to deal with. Nice thing was plenty of room underneath. No jacking. I have the service manual. Good thing I marked the drive shafts before the trans rebuild. Idiots in the shop did not mark and installed out of whack. I'll probably tackle it when I have some time off since it will take less time than the round trip back to the shop.

Here is a picture. I removed the skid plate to monitor the source of the leak. I'll wipe clean and after a trip for groceries there is a drop of oil hanging. It's minor leak and I have not had to add oil but it is annoying as hell. I have a pan under it while in the garage but it leaves a drop whenever I park in the driveway.

DSC04518S.jpg

IF it is coming from that seam and U pull T case, put sealer around the register ring in the corner were is seats in the T case, assemble let it dry overnight and even longer if you can before you drive.

Use brake cleaner and a razor to scrape surfaces clean.

I have done many Tcase pulls and installs doing this always sealed it, if there are no other issues!

Back