• Register Today It's free!

Water in transfer case

ehurter

Reaction score
City, State
Park Ridge, IL
Year, Model & Trim Level
1997 Explorer
My kid went off roading in his 97 Explorer Sport and got water in the trans and transfer case. Transmission spit out all the trans fluid on the trail, transfer case stuck in 4WD and making noise. Trans shop says the case needs to be rebuilt for $1100! Does that make sense? Was working fine before getting submerged. Could fluid change fix this?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

drain the fluid run it thru a filter see if there is sand and other Shet in it. if so rebuild or find a worthy candiate for less.

Wondering how water or sand would get in a sealed unit like that?
Doesn't make sense, these trucks are built to go "off roading".

Stock, non extended vent hoses-;)

Be aware that no transmission or gearbox is "sealed". A means of venting is always provided because the action of gears operating creates pockets of high pressure locally, which can cause fluid to be forced past shaft seals. Factory normally supplies 4X4 vehicles with a "vent hose" attached to a small nipple somewhere on the upper portion of gearboxes, axle center sections, and transmissions, extends the hose up above the unit, and affixes it to some fixed location. The upper end of the hose should be bent such that the opening faces downwards, but that is often not the case.. imp

Yes my rear diff got water in it when I went offroading. My vent hose was cracked off at the base. that's probably what happened to you tcase and trans. I afro-engineered a new vent hose using new rubber and RVT

Back