• Register Today It's free!

Flush but no filter change???

2001Exploder

Reaction score
City, State
Dublin, Ohio
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Limited AWD
I want to do a transmission flush on my 2001 Explorer XLS SOHC 4x2. It has 152,x.. and hasn't had one since 107,x... I bought the Explorer from my mom who always took it to Ford for scheduled service etc. So I went by Ford today to schedule a flush and filter change. They said it would be a lot more money to do a filter change and it wasn't necessary because they use metal filters. I would think that it would make sense to change the filter as well, but perhaps I am wrong? If Ford always flushed it then the same filter has been in place for 152,x... I think it needs a new filter at this point? Thoughts anyone?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I agree that, especially if it's the same filter as has always been on, it probably should get a new one.

Although, the filters don't really filter a whole lot; only larger chunks. Generally, if it's shifting fine, there shouldn't be much to worry about as it's not clogged or anything. And if the transmission has been serviced fairly regularly, then there may not be much point in replacing the filter.

Although... some people will disagree.

The prudent thing to do is to change the filter as well as the flush.

However, I haven't changed the filter when I flush since the first time many years ago ( and it was clean as could be then ). I do however, have an external ATF filter in my system.

Why pay Ford to do the flush, its a simple 30 minute task in your driveway?

Thanks - I saw some write ups on how to do it yourself, but they weren't that clear to me I guess. I would rather do it myself, but something about the old fluid contaminating the new fluid. If somesone has a good write up on how to do on this particular tranny I'm open.

Here is how I do it ....

I disconnected the "to transmission" hose from my remote filter housing. I plugged and clamped the disconnected line and added and hose clamped a 6 ft length of 3/8? line to the housing. The other end went into a calibrated water jug ( 1 gal size ).

The the truck run at idle while 1 quart is pumped out. Stop the truck andd add back 1 quart of new ATF.

We used 15 quarts of Amsoil ATF.

Even though this ATF ( Amsoil ) has about 50 k miles on it, it still looked remarkably good, just slightly darker in color.

After the flush/fill was completed, I added a new K & N filter to the housing and reattached the hoses.

The procedure took my son and I about 15 minutes to complete. There was no mess since we were well prepared for the flush; nary a drop was spilled.

I'm with Al on an external filter.
The filter in the transmission pan, as I mentioned, doesn't filter very much. I have the same setup as Al, with an external secondary filter, which just uses an oil filter. Filters out MUCH more contaminants. I also recently added a FilterMAG to the filter (basically a large magnet) to help hold in any loose metal flakes and whatnot.

With this setup, I'm going to start changing my oil and secondary transmission filters every ~3,000 miles, as the secondary filter will catch a LOT more than the tranny pan filter.

but where you sit, it definately would not be a bad idea to change the filter out. And it's not difficult at all. Drop the pan, pull filter, remove seal from valvebody if necessary, insert new filter, replace pan. The first time I did it, I think I spent about an hour. After doing it once, it became a <30min job.

Also, instead of flushing, you could always just drain out all the fluid. That is, as long as there is an access hole and drain plug on the torque converter itself (I've heard that around 98-2000 I think? there are no access holes to drain the TC).

With this setup, I'm going to start changing my oil and secondary transmission filters every ~3,000 miles, as the secondary filter will catch a LOT more than the tranny pan filter.

I only change the external filter when ( after ) I do a flush ( 30-40k miles ).

I always cut open the filter to see what it has "trapped". I have yet to see anything whatsoever in the filter.

I only change the axillary filter when ( after ) I do a flush ( 30-40k miles ).

I always cut open the filter to see what it has "trapped". I have yet to see anything whatsoever in the filter.

To each their own :)

I'm just a bit more paranoid, only because there's no way I could afford $1700 for another rebuild :thumbsup:

I'm just a bit more paranoid, only because there's no way I could afford $1700 for another rebuild :thumbsup:

Have you had a tranny rebuild? Mine is original at 141k miles and performs like a champ.

Have you found any contaminants in your external tranny filter?

Have you had a tranny rebuild? Mine is original at 141k miles and performs like a champ.

Have you found any contaminants in your external tranny filter?

yes, I have once. At around 110-120k I believe it was. Although, it may have been due to water getting sucked in since the breather tube is in a terrible spot, but I'm not 100% what caused the failure.
Since then, I've relocated all my breather tubes to the engine bay, and added that external filter.

And I have yet to actually cut one open; I was thinking about doing that when I change my fluids today, to see if my FilterMAG captured anything in the 3-4 days it's been on there.

Back