5R55E Problems after Flush/Filter Change | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

5R55E Problems after Flush/Filter Change

calisoundmix

Reaction score
City, State
san jose, ca
Year, Model & Trim Level
'98 XLT SOHC
So, I've been upgrading my ex over the past few weeks, and first off I couldn't have done it without the wealth of info on this site, and will be upgrading to elite soon, but on to my problem at hand...

background info: 1998 Ford Explorer SOHC, 2WD, 140,000 mi.

I just finished the tranny filter change (following this guide) and loaded it up with Mobil1 Fully Synthetic ATF, other than the old fluid shower ran into very little problems. some of the old ATF leaked onto the catalytic converter, but most of it was mopped up, some of it burned off upon taking a test drive after. there was also a few times when i was flushing the fluid that the flow slowed down (was at full flow most of the time), sometimes almost stopping.

so after taking it out for a test run i notice that there are some shifting issues in low gears, for example it will only shift into first gear half the time, the other half i have to rev it up to ~2500 RPM and it then drops into gear and surges forward, once it catches all is fine but if i come to a complete stop it has a 50% chance of failing to catch and revs up again. it will sometimes also have trouble shifting from first to second, same symptoms but revs closer to 3000 RPM before dropping into gear. Once it reaches third gear I have no more shifting issues and it performs like a champ, smoother shifts than before the fluid change. Before the filter/fluid change i had no shifting problems other than O/D taking a while to kick in sometimes.

based on my reading around here, a likely culprit is the EPC solenoid, I just wanted to check to see if there are other possibilities. i was looking at doing

so my questions are...

1). does this sound like a failing EPC?

2). Could this be another issue(s) based on the symptoms?

3). will the old ATF spilled on the catalytic converter harm it in any way?

sorry for the long post but unfortunatly i get to work a long day tomorrow (some labor day huh?) taking down a stage for a reggae festival in monterey, so i won't be able to check this until monday night. thanks for all the help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

The EPC solenoids in these vehicles are very sensitive to dirt, so with the amount of miles you have, it might be a good idea to replace it. I would not worry about the spilled fluid on the catalytic converter. I would suggest that you drop the pan, and check for a blown valve body gasket, and loose valve body bolts.

thanks for your reply brooklynbay, i just wanted to see if maybe there was a simple fix but i guess not, so it seems my valve body overhaul has been moved up in the time line and i just order parts for it, got the following.

from bulkparts.com/Makco Distrbuting
S56165H Shift correction package (Superior Shift Kit), 44R4 / 55E 1995-up

from FastPartsNetwork
3L5Z-7M203-JA, Ford TSB Install Kit
1L5Z-7Z490-HA, Valve Body Separator (Revised)
XL2Z-7L491-AA, Revised Solenoid Bracket
Extension Housing Seal (Mine's leaking slightly)
Upper & Lower Radiator Hoses

from TransmissionPartsUSA.com
13103, DeRale Tube & Fin 18,500 lb Transmission Cooler
23037, Gasket Kit (Wasn't sure if my sep plate had bonded gaskets so better safe than sorry)
23399A, EPC Solenoid

I'm just reusing the "old" filter since it has less than 100 miles on it, i've read the valve body rebuild diary (thank you SO MUCH to glacier and all those who contributed) probably four times already and will re-read several more times, anything else i might need for this? thanks for your help so far.

you may want to think about an external filter kit as well.

thanks for the link brooklynbay, i actually have already read that through once as well. without this forum i wouldn't be able to do this.

as for the cooler, how big of an issue would it be? the order has been shipped already. i rarely do any towing with my vehicle and i drive it to make it last (no sudden starts, no high rpm's), do you think i should add it in addition to the factory tranny cooler or use it to replace the factory tranny cooler, or something else?

manaen- as for the external filter it's something on my to-do list but i'm waiting on it for now (still need new tires after this and i gotta pay the registration plus some parking tickets i forgot to pay), from what i've read it is lower on the list of upgrades to help out the tranny. plus i found no metal shavings at all when i dropped the pan initially so i think it should be fine without it for now. thanks for the suggestion though, it's on my long list of to-do upgrades (basically half of aldive's mileage monster upgrades, plus a few others)

thanks again for all your help

It's not such a big deal to use the tube & fin cooler. The oem design is similar to it. You could use it in addition to the integrated cooler in the radiator, and factory cooler. Flush out the old coolers first just in case there is any left over debris inside of them. You wouldn't want to transfer any fragments into a new cooler or the transmission's valve body after you rebuild it.

alright, thanks for the advice, by flush you mean to flush the system by running and changing out atf through it one quart at a time? would the flush i performed have caught this or should i do it again just to be safe?

ahh, thank you. i'll pick one up at the local pepboys. thanks for all your help, all the parts should be here by friday making this my weekend project. i'll be sure to update both this thread and the 5R55E valve body rebuild diary with my (hopefully excellent) results.

alright, finally got all my parts (had to go to four different stores for the inch-pound torque wrench), and i'll be working on this all day tomorrow. one last question about the trans flush cooler flush product. so does it matter which line i connect this to? would you recommend using the trans flush on each part independently (take cooler out then flush) or just connect it to one line and catch the junk coming out the other line?

thanks again for all your help...

Just as a FYI on high mileage flush issues, you might read this thread:

http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=194696

The flush is designed to clean out the cooler... disconnect it. If you want to do the lines separately feel free to do so.

NOTE TO ALL: A fluid "flush" is not really a "FLUSH" in the sense of a mechanical agitated scouring removal process. It is more like dialysis, old fluid drains out and is simaltaneously replaced with fresh. Nothing agitating, nothing scouring. It does not "CLEAN" like using a cooler flush will.

sounds good, i'll disconnect it first. i figured the full fluid change probably kicked up some dirt or debris which in turn clogged my epc, but i wanted to do the valve body rebuild anyway so just a good excuse to do it now. thanks for all your work glacier and i'll post updates tomorrow after i finish...

so i rebuilt my valve body for a weekend and project and it works great, great feeling to fix this problem, not too mention getting rid of that annoying whine at drive-thrus! it took me about 7 hours with meal breaks and my only problem was i was about a quart and a half low on atf when i re-filled it and had to grab some cheapo shell atf at target to fill it up but works great now.

which brings me to one last question on this subject, the atf i got (shell atf for mercon III) says that it should not be used in mercon V trannys on the back, just noticed this today though, it's mixed in with about 10.5 quarts on premium mobil1 all-synth atf. should i be worrried about this shell atf in my tranny? or should it be fine mixed in?

thanks again for all the help. glacier's rebuild thread was a huge help and thanks to brooklynbay for helping with my lead-up questions.

Naw, you will be fine. I do recommend you put in a bottle of Lubegard Platinum though... cannot buy that at typical weekender place, hit a trans supply shop or a mainline auto suppply place like NAPA.

will do, thanks again!!

Back