Flush/drain and replace all fluids? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Flush/drain and replace all fluids?

DaveInPA

Reaction score
City, State
PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2001 Sport Trac 4WD
I have an '01 4WD Sport Trac with just under 148,000 miles on her.

I would like to go get all of the fluids flushed/drained and changed, just for peace of mind. I just recently acquired the truck and don't know much about it's service history. The engine oil and filter were just changed, so I'm good there.

I am not a "car person" so excuse my ignorance, but what other fluids are there? Transmission fluid, brake fluid, and engine coolant? Did I miss any?

I have a Jiffy Lube nearby, would that be the best place to go? Should I just tell them I want all the fluids flushed and replaced? Any idea on cost to have all this done?

Here's their page on their transmission services. Would I want the "fluid exchange" or the "drain and fill"? I can't even tell what the difference is between the two: http://www.jiffylube.com/autoservices/transmissionservices.aspx

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Good to change all of the following fluids... Oil, coolant, power steering, brake, transfercase, front and rear differentials, transmission and blinker fluid. Too many people forget about blinker fluid. You can find that here... www.KaleCoAuto.com. Many other useful tools and items there as well. Just kidding about the blinker fluid. As for the transmission, with that many miles just get a fluid drain, fresh filter change but NOT a flush. The check balls in your transmission as well as the bands are held in place and working the best there going to until a rebuild with the older thicker fluid stuck to them. If you flush the old stuff off you can cause premature trans failure.

couldn't agree more! Don't forget about the fuel and air filter! They are very important on one with those miles.

Yep, those too. I think you said you did those already on the other forum so I didn't mention them.

No to Jiffy lube.
I would recommend going to the Ford dealership.(did I really just say that?) or a trusted independent garage. Ford will use the proper coolant and transmission fluid. You want to have 100% confidence that the coolant and trans fluid are correct and done right. Brake fluid-doesn't matter much that it comes from Ford. But, you want to know it was done properly. Differentials- same thing. If using an independent. I would still bring them the proper/best/meets specs fluids to use to be sure. It may add up doing everything all at once though. But, not really that much difference in price. Paying for peace of mind is worth more than the difference. Sorry, I don't really know exactly what they change as I do these maintenance items myself. But, it sounds like you want to keep the ST around for awhile and do the right things. Start with coolant flush and transmission fluid pan drop/filter. Then, brake fluid. Transfer case/diffs after that. Lastly, power steering. Then go back, in lets say a year, and do the trans fluid pan drop/filter again. You will be good to go for a few years after all that. Check your owners manual for exact intervals or Ford ill let you know as well.
Also, since you just got it. Get the battery tested free at an autozone or wherever. I'm not positive on this. But, if you go to Ford for this work. They will check your alignment/suspension, tires, and battery for free. Probably have to pay for brake check though. On top of all that, spark plugs/wires SHOULD have been done at 100K. Mororcraft/Autolites plugs that is. Like above, check your air filter and replace the fuel filter. Down the road, clean Mass Air Flow Sensor, Idle Air Control Valve, and Thottle body. Whew!

Some reasoning for some of this- some places will only "turkey baste" the brake fluid out of the master cylinder(reservoir) and top it off. Charging you for a full flush and that leaves all the old brake fluid in the brake lines running to all of your calipers. Sad but true. Our transmissions require Motorcraft MerconV. None of that universal stuff. Ford has a great coolant exchange machine and will use the proper coolant(not sure what the 01 uses-probably green. Ford spec green that is. My 03 uses the "gold" coolant. I use Zerek G0-5.) Cant recall what Ford uses for diffs. I use Mobil1 gear oil. It needs the correct weight. (and possibly a friction modifier depending on what gears you have) Don't know on transfer case. I don't have 4wd.
Hope this helps. Let us know.

Oh, it's DaveInPA. From the other thread. :) Just take it to your trusted family mechanic. I would still bring them the proper fluids though. They shouldn't mind. Just look up what they all are in your owners manual or just ask here. :) Did they work on the ST before you acquired it from you Father? They should have some records on it. Or ask your Father where he had work done on it and possibly get the records. Good things to have so you may eliminate some items.

Back