transmission flush or drain and fill? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

transmission flush or drain and fill?

BlakeOfDoom

Reaction score
City, State
murrieta california
Year, Model & Trim Level
91 Navajo
The transmission dipstick has orange red fluid on it, not the usual deep red. I'm pretty sure the vehicle is closer to its 200,000 mile mark than 100,000.

I have read that transmission flushes can be particularly dangerous after so many miles because debris accumulation. Anyway, would pulling the pan and filter, letting the fluid drain and replacing be the way to go or is a flush ok? this is on 91 navajo

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i would not flush it just replace the fluid and filter ( wix) .i think that valvoline max life fluid maybe the way to go ...it's for ones with over 75k on them and also has a lot of additves that control leaks,slippage,shudder and gear wear .

I'm thinking along the same lines. Flushes are really expensive, plus they can jar loose some pretty nasty grime. The problem with a drain and fill is that there is still a large amount of fluid in the cooler and the lines, not to mention the torque converter.

Okay...see if this makes sense...change the filter and fluid...when you have the pan off, install a drain plug....Then after a few thousand miles, take off the plug and add more fluid....would this not change out more fluid including the torgue converter ????

true...get with t-bars ....he's got a thread on how he did his ( plug and temp guage setup), but if you do then i would go out to the yard and get you another pan .$10 maybe but nice insurance if you mess up the first one up .

Back