Flushing transmission question

wpurple

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
CT
Year, Model & Trim Level
97 Explorer
When you flush the transmission using the method of adding fluid then starting the engine and letting it pump out....(repeating every 2 quarts for 8X)

The torque converter is just a big reservoir of fluid, such that the fluid gets pumped from the pan and mixed with about 11 quarts of fluid before exiting..

I guess what I am wondering is how effective this method is if my theory is correct?
I guess it is better than not changing it but it just seems like the new fluid gets diluted quite a bit by the TC.

I suppose there is some measure of truth in what you say, but if you use clear tubing and get a few extra quarts, you will SEE the difference and I think for all practical purposes will have done a near complete flush.

Started to read the articles on the How to more in depth, the complexity of the automatic transmission utterly amazing. There is alot going on behind the scenes.

Glacier991, I agree with you, and looking at the theory of operation of the TC, it is somewhat a big vat of fluid but because of the blades, there must be enough pockets of fluid where "The flush" is effective.

I am going to flush tomorrow with Royal Purple Synthetic. I called them again to get a better understanding of why they say it is Mercon V compatible and why it isn't stated on the bottle. It was told to me that it is better than Mercon V but Ford has a certain recipe for Mercon V and if even one ingredient is altered it can't be a Mercon V even if it meets or exceeds the specs.

Back