$99 AAMCO Transmission Flush Questions | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

$99 AAMCO Transmission Flush Questions

spta97

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
NY, NY
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 5.0 AWD
Hey,

I'm going back and forth on whether or not to do the trasmission flush myself on my 5.0. I picked up 5 quarts of Castrol Synthetic fluid and need another 15 according to my research. I also picked up a gasket and filter for $17 at Autozone.

Here are my questions:

1) With the tranny fluid at $5+ a quart am I better off paying $99 for AAMCO to do it?

2) When should I replace the filter - before or after the flush?

With slightly more than $100 in tranny fluid, it would seem that it's really not worth doing it myself. The Castrol is supposed to be synthetic (although there is debate) and I'm sure the AAMCO isn't but they have a machine that might get cleaner results than me with a bucket and hose :)

I would never take it to Jiffy Lube but AAMCO seems to have a good reputation. What do you think?

*edit* - With the filter and gasket they charge $129.95 - similar to my materials

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I will follow this thread as well. I am considering the same thing on my girlfriends 98 that has 94k miles.

Ask yourself a question.... who cares more about your truck, YOU or the flunkie at the tranny shop?

A flush is simple and mess free as a DIY project.

Good luck.

Hey Al, don't you have a writeup on how to do the tranny flush? I can't seem to find it.

aldive said:
Ask yourself a question.... who cares more about your truck, YOU or the flunkie at the tranny shop?

Good luck.

That's is the only other factor in this. However, I'd like to think that the flunkie at AAMCO is better than the flunkies at Jiffy Lube. But seriously, is it worth spending more money (and time) to do it myself? I assume that with a power flush mashine they'll get more gunk out than I could by bleeding a quart and filling back up.

The other part of it is the 20 used quarts of tranny fluid to contend with! Usually when I do work myself I save money...I have never done anything that would cost me more!!!

aldive said:

Good luck.

I beg to differ. Changing the filter is quite a messy project. A PITA.

I've heard that power flush's are hard a high milage tranny. So I would stay away from that.

I've got 34K so I'm not to worried about that...although perhaps I should be.

I don't think you should be worried either. Thats about the right time to do a flush. Just don't wait till 85k to do the first pan drop :rolleyes:

For $129. filter & flush I'd go for it if you have the flush in mind. Otherwise the filter change alone is probably sufficient. As stated, changing a filter is messy.

IAmTodd said:
I don't think you should be worried either. Thats about the right time to do a flush. Just don't wait till 85k to do the first pan drop :rolleyes:
34k?? Hell, the warranty should still be good. edit: says its a 2000

Are you saying after 34k its time to do a tranny filter change and flush?

spta97 said:
However, I'd like to think that the flunkie at AAMCO is better than the flunkies at Jiffy Lube. But seriously, is it worth spending more money (and time) to do it myself? I assume that with a power flush mashine they'll get more gunk out than I could by bleeding a quart and filling back up.

I have a good write up on it, which I'll post in this thread later.

The power flush machines use PRESSURE to FORCE the old fluid out and new fluid in. These pressures are not the normal pressure that the system was designed to handle. On the other hand, if you do a flush yourself, using the output line at your truck's transmission cooler (I do hope your truck has an auxiliary cooler, makes it so much simpler) your transmission will experience normal operating conditions even as you flush it. It will never know what you are doing. That's the best way to go.

I did it my self.
It was totally painless.
The only mess was from a fill error.

IAmTodd said:
I beg to differ. Changing the filter is quite a messy project. A PITA.

I've heard that power flush's are hard a high milage tranny. So I would stay away from that.

Excuse me, but nowhere did I mention the pan drop; I spoke of a flush.

And what fluid would they give you? Most tranny shops use use the older cheaper Mercon and add a bottle of additive to make it "V". You are not going to get anything good for $99 and they will probably use just 10 quarts.

12 QTs Royal purple, at ammco, complete flush and refill, $150 bucks, done at 15 k miles, will never need to be done as long as i own the trac, called piece of mind

Rhett Browning said:
I have a good write up on it, which I'll post in this thread later.

The power flush machines use PRESSURE to FORCE the old fluid out and new fluid in. These pressures are not the normal pressure that the system was designed to handle. On the other hand, if you do a flush yourself, using the output line at your truck's transmission cooler (I do hope your truck has an auxiliary cooler, makes it so much simpler) your transmission will experience normal operating conditions even as you flush it. It will never know what you are doing. That's the best way to go.

I've read a write up and it looks like a job I can handle. I wonder what others have to say about the power flush. I understand that the transmission pressure may be lower but is the pressure that high that it would cause harm to metal parts? I'm thinking that there may be sludge or grime that needs a litttle coaxing to be taken out.

The thing of it is I'm going to have to pay more to do it myself. I'm struggling with that.

spindlecone said:
12 QTs Royal purple, at ammco, complete flush and refill, $150 bucks, done at 15 k miles, will never need to be done as long as i own the trac, called piece of mind

Was this done at AAMCO or Ammco? I think they are two different places. I would like to hear more about your experience.

Opera House said:
And what fluid would they give you? Most tranny shops use use the older cheaper Mercon and add a bottle of additive to make it "V". You are not going to get anything good for $99 and they will probably use just 10 quarts.

They said it was Mercon V. Without a lab I would have to take their word.

ton_e_montana said:
34k?? Hell, the warranty should still be good. edit: says its a 2000

Are you saying after 34k its time to do a tranny filter change and flush?

The warantee is only 36 months. Besides, this is maintenance. According to Ford it is reccomended at 30K intervals but I've been busy.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Here's my write up that I use for myself to remind me how to do it:

This procedure took me about 6 hours to do the first time. Now I can do it in about 2 hours. Here are the tools and parts needed:

5 empty clean plastic milk jugs with 1 quart measuring lines marked on them
1 bottle of mineral spirits (to clean the pan with)
16 quarts of Mercon-spec transmission fluid
1 funnel
1 under-bed plastic storage container, you will want a large one (got at Wal-Mart, and it had rollers on it too!)
1 flathead screwdriver (for prying off the old gasket, and loosening hose clamps)
1 10 mm socket, 1 13 mm socket
1 SPX Microfelt transmission filter (available at www.bulkpart.com)
1 small o-ring (www.bulkpart.com)
1 larger o-ring (www.bulkpart.com)
1 paint can (optional, I used it to support the milk jug as it was being filled)
1 transmission pan gasket (www.bulkpart.com)

1. Drive the truck a little so the fluid is mixed a little and is up to operating temperature.
2. Jack up the front of the truck. I only did this so that I could have more room to operate under there, and also so that the fluid would drain toward the back of the truck.
3. open the hood and remove the transmission dipstick.
4. position your under-bed storage container under your truck, close at hand so that you can quickly move it under the pan.
5. there is a catalytic converter heat shield that clips onto the pan. You will have to push these clamps out of the way to remove the pan. It's a real pain that took me an hour the first time I did it.
6. take a 13 mm socket, and loosen the pan bolts in a criss-cross pattern. Loosen the bolts toward the rear of the pan more.
7. take a flathead screwdriver and gently pry the rear of the pan down, catch old transmission fluid in the under-bed storage container.
8. let the fluid drain out for 15-20 minutes (go do something else while it drains).
9. once a good amount of fluid has drained, you can loosen and remove the 13mm pan bolts the rest of the way and remove the pan. More fluid will drain now so catch it in the under-bed storage container.
10. the gasket may or may not separate with the pan. If it stayed, pry it off with your screwdriver, and discard the old gasket.
11. clean and dry the underside of the valve body with lint-free shop towels. Observe any metal buildup on the valve body, there shouldn't be any.
12. take the pan and observe it. Fine gray sludge is normal. If there are metal filings, etc. then that's bad. Clean the pan with mineral spirits until it's spotless. If you want you can add some flat magnets to the pan for extra sludge-trapping.
13. take a 10mm socket and remove the bolt holding the transmission filter in place. Keep this bolt. Ditch the old filter.
14. be sure the old o-rings are removed along with the old filter.
15. clean everything well under there with shop towels.
16. use a 10mm socket to tighten the valve body bolts a little.
17. get your new transmission filter and put the new o-rings on its tubes, 1 large and 1 small
18. fit the new transmission filter onto the valve body, and then re-use the old bolt that held the filter in place. It's a 10mm socket.
19. As you tighten the bolt, gently push on the ends of the filter to make sure the o-rings get seated properly. (that's important)
20. back to the pan. Clean the gasket mounting surfaces well on the pan and the valve body area.
21. take your new pan gasket and position it on the pan. You may have to use dabs of RTV silicone to keep the gasket in place as you position it.
22. install the pan with gasket. It is kind of tricky putting it in there, with all the frame crossmembers etc. and the cat shield clips in the way. Try to get a pan bolt or two or three in to halfway hold the pan up after you've positioned it. It's tricky. Make sure the gasket is positioned properly.
23. using a 13mm socket, install the rest of the pan bolts in a criss-cross pattern. Torque them to 10 ft/lbs in a criss cross pattern.
24. take your under-bed storage container (which should have old fluid in it) into one of your calibrated milk jugs. Should be about 3-4 quarts.
25. Pour in the exact amount from step 23 above, into your transmission via the filler tube under the hood. It is **VERY IMPORTANT** that you pour in the **EXACT** amount that came out.
26. now you can begin the flush. Move your under-bed storage container toward the front of the truck to keep it handy.
27. Peer under the front of the truck and note the two hoses under the auxiliary transmission fluid cooler. The hose on the passenger side (NOTE: I can't quite remember which hose--should be output hose) is the only one you will have to mess with.
28. use a flathead screwdriver to loosen the aircraft-style hose clamp, and remove the hose, aiming it into one of your milk jugs. A little fluid should leak out.
29. take a paint can or something of similar height and use it to support the milk jug. Now, keep the hose aimed into the milk jug.
30. start your truck. Let it run for 7-8 seconds, then shut it down. There should be about 1 quart of fluid in the milk jug. If there is more, only run the truck for 6 seconds next time. If there is less, run for more. I have found 7-8 seconds per quart is about right though.
31. pour exactly 1 quart of new fluid thru the filler tube.
32. repeat steps 30 and 31, using a new milk jug after each jug is filled (they hold 4 quarts each)
33. after you are done, put the hose back on and tighten the clamp with your flathead screwdriver. Make sure it's snug, or you will get a leak there.
34. Replace the transmission fluid dipstick.
35. un-jack the truck. Start truck and check fluid level as normal.

36. IF you haven't flushed in a while, do this procedure again in a few weeks. Then every 30,000 mi or so, depending on your driving habits, towing, etc.

37. Buy several filters and o-rings at www.bulkpart.com --you might as well have them.

Back