• Register Today It's free!

Fluttering noise solved

mkkcpa

Reaction score
City, State
Ada
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Explorer ST
In my 2020 Explorer ST, I kept hearing a strange fluttering sound that appeared to be wind related. I finally traced it to the passenger side from somewhere down low.

I crawled under and noticed the felt covered cardboard looking undercarriage trim was loose and easy to flap around with my hand.

I zip tied it. Problem solved! Was driving me crazy for months.

20210824_235054.jpg

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I haven't looked at my explorer but, I wonder, is a nut missing from the stud beside the zips?

I haven't looked at my explorer but, I wonder, is a nut missing from the stud beside the zips?
It's not held in by a nut. Mine is the same way. kind of cheap if you ask me.

In the upper right corner of the photo, you can see the nearest flat nut. It was loose. I tightened but the trim was still wobbly. There are a couple of other push pins and nuts on the trim. I agree with what "themishmosh" said. Poor design.

EFD64469-45C5-4C7A-BADC-593C709018D8.jpeg
A7360A84-B97F-4088-8144-C1E38FF410F2.jpeg

This retaining clip on the side bottom, just behind the drivers door was loose as can be. the same one on the passenger side was tight. I took it out and bent some of the plastic grabbers inward but it doesn't look durable at all. at least now it holds the under carriage in place now without the flapping/tapping noise.

View attachment 341915View attachment 341917
This retaining clip on the side bottom, just behind the drivers door was loose as can be. the same one on the passenger side was tight. I took it out and bent some of the plastic grabbers but it doesn't look durable at all. at least it holds the under carriage in place now without the flapping/tapping noise.
I ended up replacing several of those plastic clips with a spacer, some washers to pinch the panel, and a nut. Fortunately the stud for those clips are threaded. Not sure what the nut size was, I just happened to have a couple in my stash that fit. No problems since.

I ended up replacing several of those plastic clips with a spacer, some washers to pinch the panel, and a nut. Fortunately the stud for those clips are threaded. Not sure what the nut size was, I just happened to have a couple in my stash that fit. No problems since.
Welcome to the Forum. :wave:

Peter

...the stud for those clips are threaded. Not sure what the nut size was, I just happened to have a couple in my stash that fit. No problems since.

M6 nuts I had fit perfectly.

So how does this trim "nut" come off? It won't unscrew - does it just pop off? Tried to pop it off gently grabbing the nut with a pair of pliers but no go. My next step is to simply strong arm it and rip it off - thoughts anyone? I have all three on the driver side that are loose. Interestingly enough there are several that are actual nuts/washer holding the whole thing on tight. Why they didn't use the same scenario in these other 3 locations is beyond me. ~jim

2021 Explorer Limited

So how does this trim "nut" come off? It won't unscrew - does it just pop off? Tried to pop it off gently grabbing the nut with a pair of pliers but no go. My next step is to simply strong arm it and rip it off - thoughts anyone? I have all three on the driver side that are loose. Interestingly enough there are several that are actual nuts/washer holding the whole thing on tight. Why they didn't use the same scenario in these other 3 locations is beyond me. ~jim

2021 Explorer Limited

I'm curious as well.

I'm curious as well.
Well I finally got back to this... used a vise grip on the "nut" and rotated it until it was loose then pulled straight down and it popped off. Replaced with a flat washer and an M6 nut and its in place never to move again.

Interesting I visited my local Ford dealer and wanted their opinion from the parts counter - I wanted to see how that "device" was designed. They don't have or ever saw anything like mine before but they said they replace the push retainers all the time on these panels. They showed me what they used to replace with - a bag of four for ten bucks. I politely declined and stopped at Home depot - got three M6 nuts and three wide washers - cheap and worked perfectly. No one seems to understand why all the other attachment points are metal nuts and washers except for these three.

Picture???

Picture???
Well, its raining cats and dogs so I can't get a pic right now of the final result but here's what MY failed plastic retainers looked like - pretty detailed item - but no one at Ford has seen these. They get replaced with a much simpler plastic retaining device (no pic - sorry).

20220715_120745.jpg
20220715_120736.jpg

Yeah thats the item. I'm in the salt belt though so I don't want to replace mine with standard off the shelf nuts and washers. They'll be destroyed by rust in a season. Back to the drawing board.

Yeah thats the item. I'm in the salt belt though so I don't want to replace mine with standard off the shelf nuts and washers. They'll be destroyed by rust in a season. Back to the drawing board.
Maybe replace with stainless steel fasteners if salt is a concern.

Back