FOCAL components installed (NOT A HAPPY CAMPER) | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

FOCAL components installed (NOT A HAPPY CAMPER)

Big Green

Reaction score
City, State
OKC, OK
Year, Model & Trim Level
2002 XLT 4.6L
Two days ago I had my 6.5 focal polyglass components, and MTX amp (4244) installed, and running off the factory HU. I was extremely excited when installation was complete by a (well known and trusted audio shop), but upon listening to the new and great equipment I was in no way impressed. There is a slight whining through speakers through out the rpm band and even while radio is OFF, bass response is not good, and the treble is too loud and too raspy. The guy told me he could eliminate the whining, for $100 with a converter of some sort. I had already dropped $275 (on installation alone), and wasnt about to spend any more. He told me that with a good aftermarket HU the difference in sound would be unbelievable. Is he right? I want sooo bad for this system to work, but the speakers sound NOTHING like what I heard in the store. The speakers dont sound like crap but, they definatly need help. I have tried to tweek and tune the amp ad the HU but nothing seems to work. I went with Focal because I have heard the difference and read all the reviews. This is the first thing that I ever read bad about these speakers. Please help what can I do. Thanks

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

sounds like a ****ty install. the amp doesnt seem like its grounded correctly. or you have a ground loop.
can you turn down the treble on the HU? will that help?
id go and speak with a manager and have someone who knows what they are doing relook at your install.

I can turn down the treble but then its just really dull. Its confusing, right now I'm in a lose-lose situation. If I change one thing I lose another, and so on. Whats a ground loop? And how do I fix it? How do I find out where they grounded it without taking up the interior? I was very pleased with the actual installation very clean, but the sound needs help.

hey man..... Im not trying to get u to spend more money or anything but with the investment youve made in your components u should get a 2 or 4 channel amp ..... and a new cd player focal components are made for good sq but if u dont send them enough power thell sound horiable.... pluse even if u just get a aftermarket cd plaer it doubles the sound..... but even the lower end focals can take 60 watts rms or more....

and a aftermarket cd player might say it puts out 50x4 or 45x4 but in reality thats peak the only put out like 23 watts rms

so if u want give me the model number of your components and how much yuoud wanna spend and ill find u a amp and cd player I know u can get a us acoustics 85x4 amp for $100... sooooooo

ooops u already have a amp.......
dont get the converter for that much u can have a nex hu installed u can get a hu for like 70 dollars and u on ly need like one pre out... and it will sound a lot better Im running my subs of a converter on the stoick and it sounds terriable

A ground-loop is FR interference from the engine/alternator that is picked up through your RCA cables running from the HU to the amp. Usually this is caused by having the RCA wires too close to the amp's power cable or by having a bad ground.

You could try moving you RCA or power cable further apart or grounding your amp to a different location. Another option would be to buy a "ground-loop isolator", you can pick them up from Pep Boys/Wal-Mart for a couple of bucks.

It really sounds like a crappy install to me, and a good after market HU with a cross-over will help your components live up to your expectations.

If they installed it... they should make sure it doesn't whine. Mine did this when i used cheap $10 RCA cables, and put them too close to the power wire. You can get rid of this noise a few ways... get better protected RCA cables, move them farther away from any power wires... or this $100 converter he is trying to sell you, is really a part you can pick up at radio shack... its the ground-loop isolator that bigtigexplorer mentioned. Any of those 3 options should get rid of the noise, and i'm almost positive that if you do all 3 options, it will cure it. The MOST you should spend to fix this problem is like 65 dollars (maybe around 40-50 for really good RCA cables, and 15 for the ground-loop ioslator).

personally, Sounds like this guy is trying to screw you over.

Beginner having to learn

I am starting to agree with you Psychotic. Okay say I buy this ground loop isolator, where does it go? And how easy would it be to put in my self (to save money)? Is there more than one kind or are they all the same? This noise is driving me insane, and not to mention its starting to piss me off, I went all over town to find some place that I could trust, and now this is what I am left with, doing things myself. Okay to clear up some of my confusion, what do RCA cables do? Are they the cables/wires that are run from the back of the HU to the speakers? The more I get into this problem the more I realize how little I actually know about car audio. I remember the guy saying something about a LOC to make the noise go away. What is this, and what does it do? Thank you guys for all the help keep them coming.

Originally posted by Big Green
Two days ago I had my 6.5 focal polyglass components, and MTX amp (4244) installed, and running off the factory HU.

-An aftermarket Head unit with a 2volt rca output or higher will definitely sound better with your setup, rather than stock...

The guy told me he could eliminate the whining, for $100 with a converter of some sort.

-Those converters, ground-loop isolators, can be had for much cheaper and are relatively easy to install....
I am assuming he took the factory wiring and ran it through a line output converter (i think its called) This takes the speaker signal, and to not get in depth essentially puts it through rca cables that will work with amps, that dont accept speaker wires in.... But I could be wrong...Does the amp, have RCA's going in or the speaker wires?? I'd say let him sit in it and listen...(by let I mean force him in there and crank it, let him hear his horsesh!t install) and explain to him, how bad a crappy install can hurt a shops reputation... tel him to check the grounds on the amp... and if he used an electronic rca converter, any good shop will work with you to fix the problem.......

RCA cables are those black cables that normally have red and white ends. (you use them on the back of VCRs too). They are a way to digitally send a sound signal. These cables go from the back of your head unit to the amplifier. If they are placed too close to the power wires, they can pick up interference and cause that whining noise. Your stock unit does not have a place for RCA cables to plug in, it only has speaker wire coming out of it. The shop probably used a converter to convert the speaker wire signal, into an RCA cable signal, and then ran RCA cables back to your amplifier. I would highly reccomend getting an aftermarket head unit. They are designed to be used with amplifiers, and already have a place for RCA cables to plug in. Not to mention it will sound better. However, this may still not fix your whining probably if your RCA cables are ran through your car in a spot that is too close to a power wire. The ground-loop isolater we keep talking about is fairly simple to install. Each end has the same plugs as an RCA cable, you simply plug it in the same way you would an RCA cable, and then plug the RCA cable into it.

Hopefully this cleared up a few things. If it just confused you more, try not to think about it.

Last night I took off both the drivers side door sills (front and back) and both seats (Front and back) so that I could see what wires went where. ALL the wires that are connected to the amplifier are running side by side and touching the whole way from the HU to the amp. This includes the power wire, remote turn on lead, and a pair of speaker wires. Should I try and seperate the all of the wires from the power wire, and see if that helps? I hate this!! I'm going down there and tell this guy to fix what is wrong. I didnt pay top dollar for a product to whine, or sound like ass! Thanks guys I appreciate your help. Atleast I know I can count on everyone here to listen and give me advise. Thanks

Go down there and tell them to run the power wire down one side of the truck and the RCA's down the other... Thats a cheap ass install... The proper way is to have them on seperate sides of the vehicle... He knows this and he's taking a shortcut... And if he claims not to know this then he has no business installing car audio for a living... He has no business even helping his friends do it!!!

I guess thats what I'm going to have to do. So thats not the way things should be run? I am beginning to start to think that I am destined for bad installs, I changed shops because of the last one. So if the wires are run correctly the chances of the whine should be lower. Will I still need the ground loop isolator? This site and people are too awesome!

First thing I'd do is re run the wires so that the RCA's are not near the power wire. That will clear up some noise. Since you will be rerunning wires make sure you are using good RCA's and decent power wire (8 gauge or better)

I'd try moving the ground point to see if that helps before spending on money on a isolator.

A new HU would be good, nothing fancy just 2 sets of 2 volt preouts.

And DEMAND your money back from the install shop, there is no way they have any right installing car audio. If you want to print out Crutchfields guide, it states to run the wires on different sides, in case they say it doesn't matter.

Okay I went back to the audio shop today.... Apparently they didnt use RCA's in my car because the amp I have already has high level imputs...maybe? I am going back either tomorrow or thursday to have an Eclipse HU installed to solve all my problems. I hope that the HU will make the speakers live up to their reputation. I'll keep you guys posted. Once again thank you.

RCA cables are really that vulnerable to noise, are they? i think i'll use RG-6 coax at a dime a foot (or RG-59 if my amp ends up in a tough spot) and terminate the ends myself!! and best of all, it's siamese coax so it's already paired! :D speaking of eclipse, does anyone know of the sirius HU's that are due out soon?

Back