Fog Light Wiring | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fog Light Wiring

bigryan09

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 Explorer Sport
I was one of those with a newer (2000) explorer that didn't have foglights, but had factory holes to put them in. So I got some pilot 4" driving lights from autozone, and modified the brackets a bit, and they fit the holes perfactly and look great.

For my wiring question: I installed an extra switch, but I tapped into the factory fog light switch harness( The harness comes on explorers even without foglights). I did this so that my headlight switch would cut the driving lights too. My concern is that the wire I tapped into is very thin (maybe 16, or 18 guage) and the wires that came with the fog lights are like 14 or 12. Am I at risk for an electrical fire, even though this project is fused?

Thanks

ANd if everyone agrees that this is a safe procedure, then I will post a write up on it. It turned out great and looks factory.

Heres an attached picture of my setup.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

So you have them hooked up with a fog light button switch plus your own switch? I think it should be fine if you want for added security add a fuse in the wiring. I have fog lights but would be interested in seeing how ya did it.

Im confused. Did you have to put in relays, or was the relay you used factory?

And the fuse should be before the relays, it should actually be the first part of the circuit.

Oh crap, I just realized that I bypassed the relay by tapping into that factoory harness. I think I answered my own question here.

Here is how it should be wired
Diagram-1.jpg

Yeah, thank you very much. What happened, was I origionally had them wired up just to a switch, without splicing the wire harness. Then after I spliced the wire harness I forgt to run it back to the relay, and ran it directly to the lights. Thanks very much, I just had a stupid day I guess.

And real quick, so that I totally understand. Once I wire it up according to your schematics.....if I'm understanding it correctly.....The only power actually coming from the harness will be to signal the relay. Then the relay will draw the power directly from the battery, correct?

OK, now that I have this straightened up, in a couple days I will post a how to on how to do these lights with pics. Were expecting snow here tongiht so it might be a couple days before I can get under it.

I have an 01' base that I installed the Pilot fog lights on,but now I have a set of aftermarket OEM fog lights that I want to install on the truck. I was searching under the frame for the fog lamp sockets and could only find one socket that wasn't connected to anything, on the drivers side. None on the other side Do I need to run new wires,lamp sockets, and switch?

Back