• Register Today It's free!

Fog light woes...

BigZac

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 Explorer Sport SOHCV6
Sorry if this is a duplicate post--I ran several searches using various queries and couldn't find anything that helped me.

I have a '99Sport (round fog lights). One of them went out a while back and I am just now getting around to changing it. I crawled up under there and released the power source plug... and couldn't find how to release the rest of the assembly. I got a "Chilton's" book for Christmas a few years ago and looked it up in there, but they are using an example from a Ranger and the assembly looks nothing like my X's.

I think that I read on one of these forums that these lights are "sealed" and cannot be replaced without replacing the whole assembly. Is this true? If not, I am obviously overlooking how to release the housing so I can remove/replace the bulb. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Ummm... sealed? My fogs on my '99 Sport are definately not sealed. I just twist the entire bulb assembly so the tabs line up with the 3 little square holes and it pulls right out. Try twisting the bulb housing with some pliars and it will most likely come right out.

I thought it sounded strange. I can't find the post now... but oh well.

I'll crawl back under tomorrow morning and see if i can't twist it out. Thanks!

Dead Link Removed Campo had the same problem, I think that this is discussed on this thread, but if I remember correctly, no one had an answer.

Yeah... I saw that post. In fact, that was the one that had the "sealed" reference in it.

But now that I think about it, I think I bought the wrong replacement bulbs for the freaking thing. I picked them up at Wally World several months ago, using their "headlight conversion computer" thing (kinda like the one you use for air/oil filters and wiper refills). These little things that the computer thing told me to buy are about twice as long as the eraser on a pencil, and just barely larger than that in diameter. Browsing through the pics in the post you referenced, it looks like whatever I bought is a replacement bulb for an interior light.

I'll give it another shot by twisting with some pliers. I can't believe that there is only one post about this. I've seen others, but they are mostly from teenies that want to put blue lights in there... and don't really discuss how to get the housing out. Grr.

Thanks again!

No prob,

If I remember correctly 99s use H1 size bulbs for the fogs. So, you went to wally world ehh, did you take the family truckster?:D :p

Heh! I love that movie. Maybe I'll change the name I affectionaly call my X from the Exploder to the Truckster.

Just as an FYI for anyone who reads this (and I don't know what good it will do, but I'll post it anyways), the computer I used at Wal-Mart told me to use Sylvania BP55 bulbs.

LOL. I just read the freaking package. ("nice going, Clark!") These are "instrument and radio" bulbs, and are rated at 7 volts. Maybe next time, I'll read the package before buying it. Oh well, they were only like $1.99. :)

Back