For those of you that have rebuilt your a4ld | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

For those of you that have rebuilt your a4ld

92expl0der

Reaction score
City, State
Houston, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
'92 XLT
Thinking about rebuilding the a4 in my 1992 just wondering how much I should expect to pay. Also are there any other trannies from late model explorers that will just bolt up in my 1st gen exploder? Thanks for any help.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look for a 94 Explorer or a 95 Aerostar with a 4.0L. This is the most updated version of the A4LD from the factory. Are you planning on rebuilding it yourself or purchasing an already rebuilt A4LD? Do you have a 2WD or a 4WD?

...You can expect to pay $1500-$2000 ($1800 is common) and up to $2500 at a high quality shop for a rebuilt A4LD...Or, you can take a chance on a $300-$600 junkyard take off...:dunno:

...As for straight on bolt ups, I don't know but someone else may chime in...;)

i have a 2wd. mine only has 95k on it so I'd like to pay to have mine rebuilt. Or the problem I'm having might just be a tranny mount. But I would like to have the ease of mind that my truck will be reliable to drive on the interstate to school and work. Right now I dont use overdrive and usually dont get over 45-50mph due to some issues which i have not diagnosed yet.

it shifts fine into all gears excep a little bit of 2-3 flair. around 45-50mph when in o/d, if i hit the gas the truck starts to vibrate and accelerate very slightly. if i hit the gas a little more it goes back to third and i have my acceleration back, with no vibration. also if i accelerate hard from a stop the truck vibrates alot, i just let off the gas and then get back on it with less throttle.

Back