Ford Axes The Adrenalin and GT!! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Axes The Adrenalin and GT!!

BeauJ

Moderator Emeritus
Reaction score
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060203/AUTO01/602030367/1148

Ford Motor Co. has scrapped plans to build a high-performance version of its Explorer Sport Trac pickup and will halt production of both the Lincoln LS sedan and Ford GT sports car this year.

After announcing last week that the Wixom Assembly Plant would be idled in the second quarter of 2007, workers were told Monday that production of the LS would stop in April and work on the Ford GT would end in September.

Harmon would not discuss the specific reasons for the decision, but said Ford was focusing on giving its customers what they want.

Jim Hall, an analyst with AutoPacific in Southfield, said the Adrenaline made little sense in the first place. "It was a vehicle playing on the margins," Hall said. The Ford GT was hardly a mainstream car, either, but Hall said it served its purpose admirably

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

the GT wouldnt meet 07 safety requirements anyways or so I have heard.
I bet GT owners are happy however, their car just got more rare.

Sucks about the Adrenalin, now we will have to build them ourselves! (Lighting engine in a 07 Trac)

I think Ford is going to cut a lot of "non-mainstream" cars/trucks

No more GT, Adrenalin...no more Blackwood?? No more concept Bronco???

Rhett said:

Yea basically no more "fun" vehicles. GM is coming out with a SS Colorado. It will have a LS2 Corvette engine sporting 400 hp and ft/lbs of torque. Why the HELL did they can the Adrenaline then??

Well, GM is going broke too, they say...so get an SS Colorado while you can, 'cause they'll probably cut back, too.

Rhett said:

Blackwood: ugly
concept bronco: dear god make it stop ugly and a shame to the bronco name
Adrenalin: eh....still ugly

Aside from the GT...what's the downside LOL

They stopped making the Blackwood years ago I thought. It's the Mark LT now. Still worthless IMO. Why get that when you can get an F-150 for almost half the price. I didn't think they were going to make the Adrenalin either for that matter. I always thought it was another Explorer Tremor; a "look what we can do but never will" concept.

As for the Bronco. I'd love to see them come out with it but they'd just f*ck it uo and put it on the Escape chassis. So maybe it's better they just left it alone.

Frankly I don't think we'll see many more fast and sporty concepts turn into productions after the GT 500 comes out anyway. The Marketing Cheif over at Ford doesn't like high performance cars. So besides the Cobra and maybe the Lightning (which I think will get axed in the next couple years anyway much to my dissmay) that's all the performance your going to see.

I kinda have to agree with dmansi

I can understand making cuts to keep the company solvent, but i think they could EASILY do like dodge is doing and really making a push for performance. Dodge has the rumble bee, srt-10, charger, Magnum, and one of the most reconized names ever...the Hemi. Of course ford would still need to have the more consertative cars but. I think it would help them more than hurt them to up the power, up the PR and really make a push to make their vechiles more appealing.

Hell if i know though lol

Rhett said:
Well, GM is going broke too, they say...so get an SS Colorado while you can, 'cause they'll probably cut back, too.
GM is going broke much faster than Ford. GM has made cuts. Ford is making these cuts before it's a serious problem. It's already more serious for GM.

I cant believe they are getting rid of the ls. Personally I think ford should try to go in the direction of dodge, they should bring back the old mustangs, and my personal favorite the continental. If they brought back that car the way dodge brought back the charger they could do really well.

EMG7895 said:
I cant believe they are getting rid of the ls. Personally I think ford should try to go in the direction of dodge, they should bring back the old mustangs, and my personal favorite the continental. If they brought back that car the way dodge brought back the charger they could do really well.

Dodge is bringing back the Challenger to fight the '05 Mustang. The '05 Mustang is the return of the "old mustangs" as it's designed after the '68 Shelby.

I am going to miss the LS but the sales just aren't there for them to keep producing it.

Yep!

i still think ford could do more though to better it's image, come on..my fawkin f150 ONLY MAKES 230hp!!!!!! Fawk ford...get your head outa your ass and make powerfull vehicile...fawkin sack up! Granted, most car owners aren't as passionate about their cars as I am so my opinon is pretty darn bias (and i'm drunk) :D

techieman33 said:
chevy has ss everything and I don't see it making a difference there
Chevy *******ized that name now...it has little meaning like it used.

I don't care how watered down the SS moniker gets. I keep chanting LS2, LS2 :)

00XLS said:
Chevy *******ized that name now...it has little meaning like it used.
The Super Sport was an Icon in its own time...I owned a 66 Impala SS
and loved every inch of it!

Ford is trying to recoup its losses and will slay all there new dragons..bummer..The Pacific Rim auto makers are killing the USA auto markets..I hope the Blue Oval rebounds and puts some people back to work!!

Dammit! And this was the year I was planning on buying a GT :p

That's too bad. I don't really care for the Adrenaline or LS, but the GT is too awesome. It'll be back.

dont think the GT is coming back for a while, the market for $100,000+ cars is not that big, yes i know most of us if we had the money would go out and buy one but how many people from our group have the money to go out and buy one. dont get me wrong the GT kicks ass, i know i have driven one(one of my mom's dr. friends bought one and loves it).

the owner of the GT that I was lucky enough drive made the comment "I can't believe I paid that much for something from Detroit." He later said he would probably sell it soon. Maybe he won't now.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Not that it would be of any import to a GT owner, But the price of gas will be the end of all perf cars in the mid 30/40K price range.
Paid $3.10 Per/Gal today In L.A.
I drive like an old lady now.

Back