Ford Explorer leaking power steering fluid | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Explorer leaking power steering fluid

Needhelpwithmytr

Reaction score
City, State
Toronto, ontario
Year, Model & Trim Level
2000 explorer
my power steering is leaking alot. i noticed it that when i turn a corner the sterring wheel shakes and that when i have stopped i can see the fluid leaking. i used power steering stop n leak but does work. also when i turned the trucks wheel left on the drivers side i could see the fluid dripping off the boot of the inner tire rod.. what could be the problem??

Please any help is welcomed!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I'd dare say you blew the seal in your rack and pinion. Or your rack is just plain worn out. Either way, you're looking at some work...

How much do u think it will cost me to get it fixed?? i dont have the time to do it myself... !!..

Welcome to the forum! Your best bet would be to shop around and try and find someone whos both reliable and affordable. You will most like look at about 2-3 hours for labor and about 200-300 for parts.

Thanks alot 1AJeremyD i looked at some videos and yeah it would take me too long to do it myself.... I will shop around and see who is good up here where i live....i might go to a scrap yard and see if they have one possbly..its a 2000 Ford Explorer but its my only source of travel i live in the country...But thanks !!!

I also have a 2000 Explorer, I have a few times gotten the issue with heavy vibration when steering a hard left or right and have read that it's likely caused by air in the power steering system, that it will go away eventually if you keep steering (with engine on) to work the air out.

But one thing I've noticed is that every time I open the hood, it appears that I have a power steering fluid leak out of the filler cap, almost as if the cap isn't on securely or the system is overflowing. The top of the cap will have fluid in it in fact. It's not a major leak, as I only notice it when lookingunder the hood, so it's not like dripping or anything. The power steering oil level is showing normal though, and the vehicle steers normally with the exception of aforementioned (I do occasionally turn the wheels with engine powered off when working on vehicle). Is this normal, is there some kind of overpressure in the system, or do I have too much fluid?

If your lucky it might just be a hose , some times they rot if there is any of the metal line exposed ( I've changed the one on my 99 Expy already ) . As long as its not the high pressure side you might be able to fix it by cutting the rotted pc. out & fix it w/ apc of correct size hose & a couple of hose clamps . I always check the cheap stuff first , a new power steering line is @ $ 40 at Napa hope this helps ,its a lot cheaper & easier !:salute:

I drive a 1994 Explorer XLT. I have a power steering fluid leak, that is slow and needs to be refilled once every week in warm weather. The pump whines letting me know when it's empty. Does anyone know if this is because of a bad pump line, needing to be replaced or bad seal/valve or what? Thanks for reply.

Back