Ford knowingly sold two vehicles with faulty transmissions. | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford knowingly sold two vehicles with faulty transmissions.

bigdude2468

Reaction score
Year, Model & Trim Level
2014 Explorer XT
I bring this up only because of the many complaints about bubbling hoods, PTU's and water pumps. Water pumps and PTU's are a faulty design, hoods are poor workmanship. As we all know both the water pump and the PTU have had design revisions.

From the Detroit Free Press, Ford knowingly sold The Fiesta starting in 2011 & Focus in 2012 with faulty transmissions. They knew about the problem but could not come up with a way to fix it other than a different design transmission so they ignored it. Problem is so bad / big that Ford could face hundreds of millions in repair costs and this spring they disclosed to the SEC the enormous financial risk posed by the defects. Article claims the "total quality related spending for the DPS6 (transmission) could reach $3 billion". One of the issues is that the transmission will suddenly slip out of gear.

Ford's position is that even if the cars slip out of gear while driving and they must coast to the side of the road the cars don't pose a safety risk because power steering, brakes, passenger restraints and other functions continue to work.

Are you f---ing kidding me, how is that not a safety issue??

"A high level analysis by Ford in 2012 acknowledged rushing the cars to production, taking shortcuts to save money and compromising quality protocols." In 2008 Ford Attorneys told engineers they were worried about the technology. Engineers noted in emails that the transmissions tendency to slip out of gear would result in a "Severity 10" rating. That is the worst possible rating under global engineering protocols.

Here is the best part, when the problem occurred Ford tried to fix the problem for five years while complaints and costs piled up. "in the interim "Ford officials prepared talking points for dealers to tell customers that the cars operated normally when in fact internal documents are peppered with safety concerns and descriptions of the defects."

Previously I mentioned how GM handled an issue with a faulty transmission. GM found that a six speed automatic transmission, 6T70 used in many mid size cars and SUV's had a faulty 3-5 wave plate due to an issue during heat treating. GM extended the warranty on these transmission to 10 years and 120,000 miles, regardless if the owner of the vehicle is the original or the 25th owner. In 2014 I gave our 30 year old son our 2008 Saturn Vue. At 100,000 miles while driving 70 MPH a bang and that's it, transmission gone. He is in Central WI on a Sunday afternoon, limps to the next exit where a GM dealer happens to be located. Gets a hotel room, at 7:00 AM Monday morning he walks into dealership, explains what happened. They say it sounds like the wave plate but they won't know until they tear it apart. They give him a loaner to get home, about 150 miles. Call on Tuesday, wave plate exploded, took out transmission, will install new unit. Done on Thursday, he drives back on Friday, hand him the keys with a smile and he is on his way. This is how you handle a problem.

I was never much of a Ford guy but I wanted to support Ford for not filing bankruptcy and I thought the deal GM received sucked. My mother was a bond holder and she was left with a write right off while unions and retiree's were protected. Exactly who did they think my mother was? an 80 year old retiree. So I said no more GM vehicles after I was able to screw them on a transaction my son made. My plans were to buy another Explorer when my 2014 needs to go but I doubt it now. My Ex has been good other than the drivers side window "chuttering" when opening. Took it in twice and they replaced track, regulator etc both times, even consulted a Ford Engineer, still does it, so I am stuck with it. I have about 70,000 miles on it with an ESP to 100,000. That's as far as I am going to go. Reading the article about how they responded to the transmission issue just has too much in common with how they seem to handle many of their quality problems.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

If you are going to copy/paste parts of articles, you need to post the link(s) to give appropriate credit to the author.

And this has been known for quite a while.

Auto industry has always been shady af. Probably not a good idea to Google the history of Henry Ford if this kind of stuff bothers you...

If you are going to copy/paste parts of articles, you need to post the link(s) to give appropriate credit to the author.

And this has been known for quite a while.
@blwnsmoke ....."how is that not a safety issue?? "

Coasting to a stop due to loss of forward power is no more a safety issue, IMO, than a tire suddenly blowing out, can't blame the maker for that, in fact usually the USER has failed to keep inflation up, and failure is due to his own ignorance,
imp

I suspect that "safety issue" is a legal term of art for NHTSA and that's what they're responding to--and at that, they're focused on the failure mode. Loss of motive ability might increase risk, but in itself, won't harm you. Loss of motive ability where the car slams itself into park when another driver's not expecting it is another story.

I'm not agreeing with it, but I suspect that's where the "safety issue" item is headed.

Back