Ford Lawsuits-Faulty Ignition Modules | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Ford Lawsuits-Faulty Ignition Modules

itzbinnice

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, New York
Year, Model & Trim Level
95 Xlt Black
I read today in the Wall Street Journal that Ford has lost a case in court regarding faulty ignition modules that
will cause the vehicle to stall. An engineer came forward and informed the court that he advised Ford not to use these modules since extreme temperatures would cause stalling.
Ford chose to ignore his warnings and then tried to cover up the defect. The Judge said Ford was "living in Alice In Wonderland" pretending the problem didn't exist. Some estimates say the suit could cost Ford as much as 1 billion although Ford says this is way to high.
The article states it affects 83-88 vehicles and some up to 95. It was not vehicle specific so I don't know if Explorers are involved. THIS IS NOT A RECALL, merely a way for those who had problems to recover damages.
Originally the part was warrantied to 50 K to which they have extended to 100K. The article was a bit vague on the mechanics of it but appeared that the location of the module was the issue. On my 95 X the distributor module is located offset to the left and near the firewall when looking from the front to rear of the engine.
I won't bother to going to Ford's web site for info since I'm certain they won't provide anything.
Ford further went on to say they won't replace the module unless you had stalling problems. Screw them, what do I have to do have an accident because I stalled and couldn't control the stalled vehicle.
Has anyone any better and more specific information?,
Please share if you do.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

TFI not used in the Explorer

Yea its a non issue. Nice post but the TFI ignitions were not used in the Explorer. All of the 4.0s use the DIS system.
No need to got to the Ford webite for info- search this site I know its been brought up before.

TFI- thick film ignition
DIS- distributorless ignition system

Thanks For The Explanation

Steve,

Thanks for responding and clarifying the different ignition systems. The issue may have been brought up before but now the courts have stepped in and provided the consumer some recourse. I am relieved that it doesn't apply to Explorers, but I feel sympathy for those who may have to have spent money are an engineering flaw, and worse yet, suffered an injury.

recourse?

What?

"The issue may have been brought up before but now the courts have stepped in and provided the consumer some recourse"

You just told me that Ford warranted them for 100k who was damaged? Why does anyone need recourse if the parts in question were covered by warranty? Im going to have to read the article I guess- I dont understand some of these crazy CA rulings.

I reread your first post - whats your beef with Ford?

"I won't bother to going to Ford's web site for info since I'm certain they won't provide anything. " Why so sure?

. "Screw them, what do I have to do have an accident because I stalled and couldn't control the stalled vehicle. "
Your last statement is a bit hostile for someone who doesnt even have the affected part on their vehicle.

Just curious.

Steve,
In response to your questions. Perhaps I didn't express myself correctly.

"You just told me that Ford warranted them for 100k who was damaged? Why does anyone need recourse if the parts in question were covered by warranty? Im going to have to read the article I guess- I dont understand some of these crazy CA rulings."

Ford is increasing the 100K warranty due to the lawsuit,
it was only 50 K prior to that. They were forced to do so, it was not there choice.

"I reread your first post - whats your beef with Ford?"

Just tired of getting ripped of, not only with Ford, but all car manufacturers. The ridiculous prices they charge for parts is larceny in some instances. Case in point, had a Ford custom van and tried to replace the pick up coil in the distributor. I discovered the distributor gear had to be removed to get the shaft out. Problem is it's pressed on, bring it to a shop to remove it and they break the gear. Go back to Ford and ask them to buy a new gear,
gear not sold separately, must buy the whole distributor for 240.00. That 's BS, the part that is most likely to wear on the disrtributor (gear) is not for sale.
I then ask the guy what does Ford do when they need to replace the gear, he says " sometimes we break them too attempting to remove so we charge the customer for a new distributor.

"I won't bother to going to Ford's web site for info since I'm certain they won't provide anything. " Why so sure?

With the tire recall I found it difficult to get accurate information and relied on newspapers to get the facts.

" "Screw them, what do I have to do have an accident because I stalled and couldn't control the stalled vehicle. "
Your last statement is a bit hostile for someone who doesnt even have the affected part on their vehicle"

At the time I wrote it I did not know I did not have the part, however that doesn't change my opinion one bit.
What about all those that did have it installed, and all those that had accidents because of it. Perhaps I have a little more compassion for others than most. It just irks me that people have to get hurt before something is done to correct a wrong.
Being a bit old fashioned I am disturbed that business is so engrossed with making money they tend to overlook
what is moraly right. Now that I finished chewing your ear off I wish you a pleasant night.

Ignition Modules

I am having simular problems of the engine just quiting with my 1999 explorer sport 4.0L SOHC. The problem appears as a complete engine shutdown to an intermitant shutdown. I have only had the problem on very warm days or extensive highway driving on a warm day. I have a super chip in the vehicle and thought that to be the problem till I heard of my trucks symptons on the nightly news. I called my local Ford Dealer and they indicated that they new nothing about any such problem and/or recall. Anybody got any additional info or simular problem with a 99 4.0L SOHC? Anybody know of a simular problem caused by a super chip?

There has been some discussion on the board about some problems with the superchip. Pull it and reset the computer. If the your problem goes away, it was the chip.

Back