• Register Today It's free!

Found a 4wd Explorer - "DEMO"

willwitten

Reaction score
City, State
Dallas, Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
2003 Expy (ToBe '11 Expl)
I found a 4wd explorer with everything I want on it (finally), but it is a "demo". It has a little over 3,000 miles on it. They are offering it for $2,000 under x-plan pricing.

Is that a good deal?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

I would try to get a little bit more off that. But at the same time ,that is being somewhat fair considering that these things are hard to come by at the moment. I am still waiting for mine to come in any day now . I was at my dealer today and he had 2 come in yesterday morning ,both were pre sold, has not had one on the lot in over 2 months.

You were asking why a texas would want 4WD and i'll tell you. I live in north west texas and we have snow on the ground about 14 days out of the year. Now that may not seem like a lot but we have hardly any gear to move that snow out or melt it off, so the snow sticks around for quite a while. Then when it melts off, we have no drainage system in the city because we get less than 20 inches of rain/snow a year. Combine all of this with all of the people in the city that have no idea how to drive in snow and you can get into some pretty harry situations where 4WD could come into play and save your life. Plus there is a lot of dirt roads around here and when it rains you almost need 4WD on all the time.

Why would a Texan want a 4WD..?

Not that the new Explorer is 4WD, it's only FWD the majority of the time and only couples the rear drive in when IT thinks loss of traction, along with directional control, might be lost.

This new Explorer is NOT for off-roading, not even "light" off-roading, let alone more serious "sport" off-roading.

I would wait for the upcoming I4 with only FWD.

@Jaswood, what are your definitions for "light" vs. "sport" off-roading? Just curious.

"Light", as in casual..or I didn't really want/plan to be "here".

"Sport"...hardcore MUDDERS.

So when I'm on a fire road, or some loose gravel, or some powder snow over cold pavement, I should be wetting myself? LOL.

That's about A plan pricing so definitely not a bad deal. Maybe you could get another $500 or a few oil changes thrown in but that is a pretty fair deal. IMHO.

Why a Texan needs 4wd

Why would a Texan want a 4WD..?

Not that the new Explorer is 4WD, it's only FWD the majority of the time and only couples the rear drive in when IT thinks loss of traction, along with directional control, might be lost.

This new Explorer is NOT for off-roading, not even "light" off-roading, let alone more serious "sport" off-roading.

I would wait for the upcoming I4 with only FWD.

Why would a Texan want a 4WD?
I live in a rural area near Dallas. When the streets get icy or snowy, they are NEVER sanded or cleared in any way. This always happens 2-6 times a year, and lasts for 1/2 day to a several days. I want to be able to drive on those roads in as safe a manner as possible (for me and my family).

I also manage 3 large farms scattered around the county. They all have roads on them to access the crop and catle fields. NONE of the roads are paved. Some have gravel, but most are dirt (mud when wet). I don't drive on them when they are very wet because I don't want to damage the road with deep ruts (I have to repar them if that happens). But, I do drive on them when it is slightly wet. I have been stuck because of slick mud, slick grass, slick rocks, etc. I never go 'mudding' or 'rock climing'. But I do expect to be able to get out of trouble when the roads are wet. I have driven on these roads for many years with a 2wd Expedition (which has done pretty well), but I want something with slightly better traction than the Expedition (I have been stuck a few times from 'slick' places). I realize that the 2011 Explorer has slightly less ground clearance. That won't be a problem. If I find a place that needs more ground clerance than the Explorer has, I will just flatten it out with the tractor & box blade.

I do off-roading, almost every day.....but never for 'sport'..... only to get a job done. For my purposes, I believe the 4wd (AWD whatever...) will do exactly what I am looking for.

That's why a Texan needs 4wd.....

Sounds like the "back-country" in MT near the missouri breaks.

I think I would give serious consideration to a 4WD Expedition were I in your shoes. There is also the Jeep and 4runner to be considered.

And lastly...I would keep the RWD Expedition rather chance investing in the new Explorer that most likely will not fit your needs.

really? His situation sounds exactly like what the awd on the explorer was built for, and exactly like what they have demo'd it on in both the law enforcement videos and consumer promotional videos...

You are literally ridiculous w/ your anti 2011 explorer rants. Let's be brutally honest with everyone.. YOU'VE NEVER DRIVEN IT... you have no basis, or knowledge of how it will perform in any situation, including the ones described here. You are constantly giving out horrible advice in this forum.

No, you should only "wet yourself" once you get in so "deep" that you begin to wish you had bought ANY true 4WD instead. I have found the situations you describe not be a challenge for even a RWD sedan. The on-road conditions wherein I expect to have need for 4WD or RWD with tire chains is ice covered or packed snow.

You haven't driven a 2011 explorer, how can you comment on it's ability to overcome the situation presented?

LA, CA.

You could buy ANY FWD vehicle and never notice/need the difference between it and the absolute BEST 4WD system.

i THINK YOU ARE IN THE WRONG HOLE!!! This forum supports the 2011 Ford Explorer.It is easy to tell you have very little experience with it.Most of your ,comments seem to suggest,you are talking out of your A**.

I found a 4wd explorer with everything I want on it (finally), but it is a "demo". It has a little over 3,000 miles on it. They are offering it for $2,000 under x-plan pricing.

Is that a good deal?

Willwitten,this does not sound like to bad of a deal.If that is the dealers offer,you may may a counter offer and he will probably be glad to sell.Good Luck!

Back