• Register Today It's free!

Found a dead mouse...

YourNameHere

Reaction score
City, State
Haverhill, MA
Year, Model & Trim Level
94 Explorer
Inside my expy. It was sitting for a couple months and will probably sit for a couple more weeks.
it was an infant mouse!
Think there's more inside?
I DID find a mouse nest under the upper plenum under the hood last week.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

where there`s one....there`s more...............

Eeekkkk a mouse!

Any time you let a vehicle sit. The mice, chipmunks, squirrels, etc… will think you left it just for them to take shelter in. I don’t know why but they love to get on top of the motor. (Mmm the smell of frying chipmunk) Be sure to check in the breather box. The best thing is to keep it moving don’t let it sit for long. If they are getting in the cabin, there “excrement” will leave a gross odor that’s hard to clean out. I recommend “Decon” It got rid of the visitors in my old Bronco.:salute:

There IS a smell in the truck too.
But I don't see any shlt anywhere.
Do the sell Decon in little sacks for cars? Will it help the smell go away?

Mice are no fun, can cause all sorts of havoc. Besides the wonderful... "aromas"... they like to chew on wiring.

Decon can be purchased in bait trap form, which are little cardboard boxes. You rip open a portion (like a sardine can), and the mice can get to the bait. The Decon is supposed to make them go look for water to drink, so they aren't supposed to hang around and die in there. They sell it at Walmart, etc.

As for stuff getting on the engine, a friend of mine lost an RV to a fire, caused by a squirrel or something building a nest in the engine compartment...

Good luck!

Mike

Well, I have an update.
I put 2 mice traps in the car over a week ago, and never caught anything. However, there's a real strong BAD smell in the car now.
I went out to it today and gave a good once over to look for any more mice.
I found 2 more!
I flipped the driver's side rear seat and pulled back the floor piece that covers the floor. There were 2 in there!
I'm hoping I found them all now.
They're definitely not alive anymore, since there's nothing in the 2 traps.

ya i live in the country...and ive got mice problems in my X too. They seem to hang out in my engine bay...on top of the block. I continue to remove there nesting stuff and i put mothballs and even pepermint oil to try and keep them away but they still come back...little ####ers. Then again i dont really drive the xplo much, only up the mountain and I soon will be runing it for the winter. So hopefully daily use will keep them away. I hope once i park my 04 focus in the garage they dont screw with it. Im gonna load it with traps and mothballs all around the floor.

The Decon is good stuff, It has a powerful desiccant in it that causes the mouse to dehydrate, that’s why they leave and look for water. If they died in you truck they should dry up and mummify, far less stink than a rotting carcass. You should really try to keep them out of your truck, those little boogers will chew wires where you didn’t even know you had wires. And they loved to poop in my door pockets.

I sprayed a mix of:
1Tbsp dish soap
1 pint Hydrogen peroxide, and 1/4 cup of baking soda.
I read online that it will kill the smell of a skunk on pets.
I can BARELY smell it now. And I mean barely.
I'm gonna spray it again tomorrow and I'm sure the smell will be gone 100%

For anyone who wants to KILL any bad scents/smells, this mix will do it!

try throwing tom cat urine in the car that will keep everything away. i know this is an old post i am just throwing it out there. besides how are you going to get the cat urine?

Back