found on craigslist: BW1354 Manual AND DOUBLER! | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

found on craigslist: BW1354 Manual AND DOUBLER!

Ranger379

Explorer Addict
Reaction score
City, State
middle of nowhere, PA
Year, Model & Trim Level
'99 XLT 4X4 4.0 OHV Auto
searching around craigslist for parts for my 5speed swap and found this

http://newlondon.craigslist.org/pts/2115698572.html

Ford Ranger Borg Warner 1350/1354 Doubler - $500 (Salem )

custom doubler! and includes the 1354M and both shift linkages

i didnt know there was a double made or could be made for the 1354's ! if i had an extra 500 bucks id buy it, so maybe someone on here will be interested,

this IS NOT MINE, just thought id share!

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

well i didnt think it would be a member on here since it wasnt in the classifieds haha, you would have better luck selling on here than craigslist i would think. he didnt have any threads or posts or anything on that doubler did he? id like to know how he made it lol

ya i hear ya, i just spent all my money on my body lift, and a bunch of new tools. if i would have seen that on friday i would have bought it and paid to have it shipped to me lol. thats a damn good deal considering hes including the 1354m and the linkage as well as the doubler, if he still has that in 2 weeks i will buy it haha

ya that would be his, i just found some of his threads on trs/ranger forums. i havent been on those forums in years haha...

I'm waiting for his reply for shipping.
Here is a link to the RS.
http://www.therangerstation.com/for...d=7&cutoffdate=30&direction=desc&orderby=name
I've never seen a doubler other then the webb. Can someone read the add and give me their opinion? Is this a good deal? and how important was it to change the planatary gears? Also by the way the add reads, are both bolted together and ready to go?
The part where he says "including a 1354 case" makes me believe they're not hooked-up?
Also the left picture I can't make out the part that is black?
Any questions that I should ask him?

Just added: The part about the sector shaft. Is this flush welded or is it slipped in and then welded? Hope who ever built this knows about welding and cooling it right.
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring07/BW1350_1354_doubler.htm
http://www.therangerstation.com/Magazine/spring07/BW1350_1354_doubler.htm

rookie, changing the planetaries just makes it stronger. That doubler was made out of a 1350 case which only had 4. The 1354 had 6.
That black part is the adapter. The doubler is made by cutting the front half off of a full t-case, and the adapter allows it to be bolted up to the trans.
The ad doesn't say what 'brand' the doubler is, T+M, D+D, Stubler, or true homemade.
Also, are you thinking of getting this for your BII? Make sure it'll work with your trans, I know you have a V8.

rookie, changing the planetaries just makes it stronger. That doubler was made out of a 1350 case which only had 4. The 1354 had 6.
That black part is the adapter. The doubler is made by cutting the front half off of a full t-case, and the adapter allows it to be bolted up to the trans.
The ad doesn't say what 'brand' the doubler is, T+M, D+D, Stubler, or true homemade.
Also, are you thinking of getting this for your BII? Make sure it'll work with your trans, I know you have a V8.

C4 with C5 tailshaft that currently has BW 1350 bolted to it.
If he returns my email I'll ask who made it.

Rookie-

Got your PM. It looks like an ole T and M doubler. They are strong units from what I have heard, they are just a little long (as you can see with the adapter). If I remember right Tom did not cut the shaft or bore/ press and weld it. Instead he resplined the very end of it and left it full length. Hence the long adapter. From what I rememeber the only real down side of them is the length. The D and D basically replaces that whole black adapter with the tube in it with 2- 1/2" plates of Aluminium. In your short wheel base, this could be huge. Probably upwards of 6" shorter. I also recal that some had a bit of a head ache getting them to seal up too.

I don't think I would run a 2 piece shaft. Some guys have run them with luck, but I don't think they can compare to a 1 piece like the one Duffy has munufactered and treated for the doubler, the one Grem makes for the stubbler or T and Ms.

The 6 gear planetaries are a stronger setup. I don't know that it is that big of a deal since the auto shift 1354 planetaries bolt right up to the 1354/ 1350 cases and the local junk yard is full of those. I think they were in for part of 93 and all 94 exploders. I went to my pick and pull and tore apart a couple 1354auto cases until I found the 6 gear planetaries and just bought the reduction/ front case part from the yard for $20 or something. I also used a 1350 case for my front case and put the 1354 auto guts in it. I haven't really heard of the 4 gear planetaries giving anyone any problems, so it is more just a piece of mind really. Probably the more critical part of swapping to the 6 gear planetaries is the shift fork design. The later shift forks had a much better way of capturing the "shifting gear" (maybe its called sun gear?) than the older ones as it shifted. Some had problems with the small plastic guides wearing out on the shift fork and using the later design solved this.

anyone know if he still has it? im considering a doubler now if no one has bought it yet

C4 with C5 tailshaft that currently has BW 1350 bolted to it.
If he returns my email I'll ask who made it.

Has not returned my email as of yet.

Back