• Register Today It's free!

Four wheel drive not working

DrogoBoffin

Reaction score
City, State
Loris, SC
Year, Model & Trim Level
92 4x4 4.0 2dr
I have a 92 Ford Explorer Sport with an electronic shift transfer case. When I press the 4 wheel high button nothing happens. It doesnt light up and four wheel drive does not engage. I am aware that I might be able to rebuild or would have to replace the shift motor. What I am asking is, where do I start troubleshooting to make sure this is the problem. I dont want to replace the shift motor and it be something as simple as a fuse or wire. I have checked all the fuses I can see and they are all fine. Is there an inline fuse or a relay or something else that can go out?

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Based on my experience I would check the shift motor first by removing the cover to see if the bushing failed.

OK so I got it apart ahd the bushing is completely gone. I'm also cleaning the brushes and contact points. Now my question is what do I replace the bushing with? I dont have another one that is the same size would plastic work?

I've used plastic rod and I've also used rubber hose. Both seemed to work fine.

~Mark

After all is said and done, I need a new shift motor.

Why do you need a new shift motor? In my experience may old shift motors are just that OLD. If you're not careful you can break it trying to take it apart to clean the brushes ect.. That is why I only recommend fixing the stop bumper and ignoring the rest. You can replace the broken bushing with any type of rubber hose. The idea is to cushion the metal stud on the geared position sensor so it doesn't get jammed against the metal stop.

4X4 Shift Motor Rebuild. Its in the Explorer & Ranger Transmissions, Transfer Cases & Differentials area of the forum.

Same thing happened to mine. I snapped the screws for the sensor cover. Even after fixing the rubber stopper and RTVing the cover back on it still didn't work. I didn't want to risk not having 4x4 so I pony'd up the $75 and got one from NAPA.

Back