Fresh air versus recirculated air - any way to select? | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Fresh air versus recirculated air - any way to select?

jdc28va

Reaction score
City, State
Vienna, VA
Year, Model & Trim Level
2020 Platinum (Blue)
Callsign
KK4AIB
2006 XLT V8 4x4.

Does anyone know if the air from the fan is fresh air when the AC button is not pressed, or is it just recirculated air? Seems the air is recirculated when the AC button is pushed, but is there any way to get fresh air? Does the system automatically inject a small amount of fresh air instead of just recirculated air?

My wife's 2010 Escape Limited has a recirc button so you can choose between fresh air and recirculated air. The Volvo S40 I owned before the ex had the same thing, and automatically changed over to fresh air for a few minutes every so often when the AC was on.

Now that fall is here, I've always wondered if I'm getting fresh air when I put the fan on. I don't really like driving with the windows open much, especially on the highway.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

i dunno for sure but i say recirculated because air conditioning fresh air would be inefficient as cooling hot air as to cooling cooler air

I could be wrong, but I thought it was all fresh air unless the Max/AC was selected. I'll have to re-check the owners manual to verify this.

I could be wrong, but I thought it was all fresh air unless the Max/AC was selected. I'll have to re-check the owners manual to verify this.

I've never been in a newer explorer, but everything i've driven has been either "max a/c" for recirc (everything else is fresh) or else (usually imports) there is a button for recirc.

i only use recirc if it's REALLY hot out and the a/c is struggling to keep up. otherwise i prefer fresh air, especially if other people are in the car with me. no point in breathing the same B.O, old breath, and farts over and over again.. gross.

Everything except max is fresh air. But even on max, its only about 80% recirculated air, because the blend door that diverts the air usually has a small cut out to allow some fresh air.(enough to deal with two peoples B.O. and farts)

Here in MN... I could use a recirculated option for heat when the car is still warming up!

Back