• Register Today It's free!

front axle disassembly info???

4x4rob

Reaction score
City, State
Republic of Texas
Year, Model & Trim Level
1991 XLT (Lo-HP edition)
I'm trying to find information about disassembling the front end so I can change the gear. I did a "search" and went through several pages, but don't have time to look at 2000+ results.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Gonna do them yourself?

Free bump.

If you've never changed gears before, it's not just bolting a new one in. You have to set up the pre-load, backlash and pinion depth. This requires special tooling, i.e. a in-lb torque wrench, a ft-lb torque wrench, a dial indicator, and an impact wrench is really handy. It takes a lot of time and patience. IIRC, Randy's Ring and Pinion has a good tech writeup on how to set gears up properly.

To get to the front R&P, you need to remove the driver's side ttb. To do this, you have to disconnect the swaybar, pull the caliper off the brake disc, disconnect the driveshaft, unbolt the TTB from the frame in the center of the truck, unbolt the radius arm from the radius arm mount bracket and you should be able to pull it out. When you do this, it will pop the passenger's side axle shaft out. You then have to unbolt the pumpkin from the TTB and also pull the driver's side axle shaft out.

Suggest you go get a Haynes Manual. They have decent directions and pix on how to work on your truck.

JDraper said:
If you've never changed gears before, it's not just bolting a new one in. You have to set up the pre-load, backlash and pinion depth. This requires special tooling, i.e. a in-lb torque wrench, a ft-lb torque wrench, a dial indicator, and an impact wrench is really handy. It takes a lot of time and patience. IIRC, Randy's Ring and Pinion has a good tech writeup on how to set gears up properly.

To get to the front R&P, you need to remove the driver's side ttb. To do this, you have to disconnect the swaybar, pull the caliper off the brake disc, disconnect the driveshaft, unbolt the TTB from the frame in the center of the truck, unbolt the radius arm from the radius arm mount bracket and you should be able to pull it out. When you do this, it will pop the passenger's side axle shaft out. You then have to unbolt the pumpkin from the TTB and also pull the driver's side axle shaft out.

Suggest you go get a Haynes Manual. They have decent directions and pix on how to work on your truck.

I've installed gears before. In fact, I wrote the Ring and Pinion Installation Guide on www.f-body.org in 1997. I just couldn't figure out how to get the darn front end apart. :) The axle shafts looked to be complicating the job, but I guess not. Thanks for the help.

It's not real difficult. Pretty easy if you have the right tools. The spindles can be a little work but if you have a slid hammer get the peice that screws on the end of the spindle and then the slid hammer screws on to it. This lets you pull the spindle straight out (after you remove the nuts of course). Just 3 or less pops of a good sized slid hammer and it's off. With out that you will have a bit of work. I have used a putty knife to work in behind the spindle and others have said to put the spindle nuts on and hit them with a big hammer. Either way your ****ing the spindle in the knuckle opening and it's tough going. And you risk damage to the spindle. If you don't have one of these check with you local rental places and see if you can rent one.

Just pull the wheel and lock outs. Remove the caliper by knocking out the retaining bars. Remove the spindle nut(s) and hub/rotor. Remove the spindle nuts (4 I think) and the spindle. The drivers side shaft will come out of the third member. The passangers side axle has an inner and outer assy. The inner with u-joint has a c-clip to hold it into the third member. The outer assy with u-joint will come out through the spindle opening in the knuckle. Most of the time I will mark the inner and outer assy so they go back together the same as they were before I removed them. Remove the bolts on the front of the beam that hold in the third member. There is another bolt that runs up and down on the back or pinion side. This is to the drivers side of the pinion. Remove it. I think they put that bolt in before they put the axle under the truck in the factory so if it's not been apart before I just loosen it and cut the bolt to get it out and use a new bolt when it goes back together. The third member will be stuck in pretty good and you will need to pry it out be careful what you pry on and go slow and it will come out. I have hooked a come a long to the pinion yoke and a rear cross member to help.

I didn't cover ABS sensor. That can be hard to get off with out damage also.

Good luck. Hope that helps.

Hi Jack!!!!

Hey, Jack knows his stuff!!!!

Hey Mark. Mark has fab skills. You guys should have seen the job he did on the rear wheel openings of his friend Tony's BII. Mondo :cool: .

Back