Front Diff. Gear Ratio 2001 6cyl. Eddie Bauer | Ford Explorer Forums - Serious Explorations

• Register Today It's free!

Front Diff. Gear Ratio 2001 6cyl. Eddie Bauer

rc1626

Reaction score
City, State
Long Island, N.Y.
Year, Model & Trim Level
99 Explorer XLT
Anyone know what the front differential gear ratio is on the 01 Eddie Bauer Explorer? I've been getting a continuous thump that increases and decreases w/ speed. I've tried new wheel bearing hub assemblies on both sides as well as cv axle shafts on both sides. Thumps when coasting in neutral as well. Removed front drive shaft to no avail. Do notice that when turning to the left it seems to get worse and when turning to the right it seems to get better. Thinking something in front diff. may be shot. When I lift the front and spin wheels by hand I don't feel any thump. Tried same w/ rear and no thump there either. Only when driving and wheels are under load. Looking to pick up a used unit from junkie and need to know diff. gear ratio.
Thanks!
Rob

Join the Elite Explorers for $20 each year.
Elite Explorer members see no advertisements, no banner ads, no double underlined links,.
Add an avatar, upload photo attachments, and more!

Look at the door tag. There will be a two digit code. It is needed to tell you what diff ratio you have.

its the same as the rear, you sure your front drive shaft is not broken?

Thanks for the info. Front driveshaft is currently off truck to rule that out.
Rob

Running without the front shaft will probably damage the viscous coupling inside the center differential. You won't be able to have it running AWD again without replacing VC.
PS: Are you sure it is a EB 2001 with a FACTORY 6cyl? I thought that all the EB in 2001 where V8 (VIN 8th char 'P')... You can check the VIN with this Dead Link Removed.

front drive shaft was only out for a short time so whether that will ruin the VC, i don't know. As far as I know it is a 2001 EB w/ a 6cyl. I'll certainly recheck. Thanks for you input.
Rob

Back